Keyless Entry Temperamental Drivers Side

Phenom

Paid Member
Didn't know where else to put this so just dumped it in general for now unless an admin or mod want to move it somewhere more relevant.

recently I have been having problems with my keyless entry and locking not working on my drivers side. works on passenger side and on the boot flawlessly 100% of the time, but i'd say it's only working 30% of the time drivers side.

any ideas to remedy this problem?

So I thought mine was playing up, it is because of my new card wallet that has a RFID blocking on it and it weakened the signal (I put my key and wallet in my right pocket, phone in left), but when I used to go to the passenger side and boot it worked fine.
Now I try and put them in different pockets and it works fine, do you have anything like that?

Reactions: Phenom
No nothing like, I thought it may be something to do with it being further away in my pocket, but even holding the keycard in the same hand I'm opening the door with does nothing but still perfect no matter what pocket or hand the keycard is in for passenger side or boot.

Reactions: suj
Haha like me I tried everything, as it was annoying but luckily it was my new cars wallet.

Good luck, it's annoying as it's the door you want to use!

1. Try spraying WD40 in the handle/around the optical sensor and see if that makes any difference
2. Try pressing the optical sensor in with your thumb when trying to open the door and press the button on the handle multiple times when trying to lock it
3. Try pulling the handle multiple times when trying to unlock the car as I believe the optical sensor may go into sleep mode and pulling the handle activates it again.
4. Run diagnostic tests using Clip as from what I've heard you can view the keyless entry system in real time and see if it detects the card.

Try changing the battery. My driver door started to play up and the battery in fob was newish and was reading only half a volt down. In desperation I replaced it with a new well known make and success. Door now works fine.

Already tried, 2 new battery in both keycards and no difference.

the occasional time it does work its on a double pull to unlock, where it unlocks after the first pull and the second pull opens the door. its never hand on handle door unlocks open first time like it is passenger side.

will try the WD40 later tonight see if it makes a difference.

How much is clip? or is there anyone around Sussex who'd be nice enough to lend their clip my way?

if it comes to worse case scenario does anyone have a part number for the sensor?

Sounds like the optical sensor is at fault then mate.

In regards to Clip, I believe it's in the £100-200 range but sometimes you'll find laptops for sale with the software already on them.

The Clio Man (https://www.facebook.com/TheClioMan/) might be able to help in that respect.

Here's a link to the sensor from a Grand Scenic (which I assume is the same across the Renault range from that era) which has the part number: AV50487002. You might be able to find the official Renault part number from this.

You need to take a logical approach to this problem before you go mad spraying WD40 everywhere and causing more problems.
The system:
– Renault card,
– UCH,
– optical presence sensors located in the door handles,
– access aerials integrated in the door handles and the tailgate,
– locking switches integrated in the door handles and the tailgate badge,
– opening element locking motors.

1st the keycard has a transponder and a wireless transmitter go to the boot if the boot locks and unlocks just by the boot buttons then it is safe to say the keycard is fine the boot is less likely to fail due to protection, position and use.

That leaves door aerials, optical presence sensors and door handle button this all can be confirmed using the Renault clip but on logic if the car unlocks putting your hand behind the handle or pulling it, then the handle aerial is good so that's eliminated and the optical sensor should be fine which leaves the button which is checked while locking a silver handle is about £60 new and does both sides at this point take the door handle off split the handle and put contact cleaner into the button directly and test with a multimeter push the button and get a beep on the continuity test pressing the metal button and spraying contact cleaner is the most direct way and confirm reliable working button the optical sensor I will have to check on about removal and cleaning I'll see if it can be done externally or if the door card needs removed.

Reactions: Lighty and Phenom
You need to take a logical approach to this problem before you go mad spraying WD40 everywhere and causing more problems.
The system:
– Renault card,
– UCH,
– optical presence sensors located in the door handles,
– access aerials integrated in the door handles and the tailgate,
– locking switches integrated in the door handles and the tailgate badge,
– opening element locking motors.

1st the keycard has a transponder and a wireless transmitter go to the boot if the boot locks and unlocks just by the boot buttons then it is safe to say the keycard is fine the boot is less likely to fail due to protection, position and use.

That leaves door aerials, optical presence sensors and door handle button this all can be confirmed using the Renault clip but on logic if the car unlocks putting your hand behind the handle or pulling it, then the handle aerial is good so that's eliminated and the optical sensor should be fine which leaves the button which is checked while locking a silver handle is about £60 new and does both sides at this point take the door handle off split the handle and put contact cleaner into the button directly and test with a multimeter push the button and get a beep on the continuity test pressing the metal button and spraying contact cleaner is the most direct way and confirm reliable working button the optical sensor I will have to check on about removal and cleaning I'll see if it can be done externally or if the door card needs removed.

Where can a handle be sourced for £60 new?

2008 chrome coloured door handle 7701478162 I think its £63 ball park why not contact Renault parts Direct tell them what you need as not all dealers charge the same price final pricing is up to them.

Now there is a black handle version listed which I think would be an unpainted textured version for keyless entry cars now I cant find a picture to confirm if it is push button but listed at half the price if anyone wants to take the chance as the button and RF receiver assembly could be transferred 7701475753 let us know

The phase 2 cars have different electrics but the handles should be the same the changes were more multi media style functions.