197: Just a little bit of honesty...

Tyres, Tyres, Tyres, Tyres............Before you go and view the car, ask them what Tyres are on there....anything from Falkens through a to the brands you've never heard of...dont bother wasting your time to go and have a look.

My Grandad always said, you can judge the quality of the man, by the quality of his shoes.

If you can afford to spend a bit more money on something that is going to wear out quickly, your not going to skimp on other important stuff like...Oil...Servicing...Cosmetics....

People that run budget tyres obviously don't see the value in spending money to keep a vehicle up together. Every used car I've looked at in my time that's been running on a budget brand, has almost always been a s**tter else ware.

Remember, people that don't love cars, buy cheap tyres....

Sorry to labour the point, but I am passionate about this...

People that buy expensive tyres

• Car Enthusiasts
  • The Rich
  • Fleet Management Companies

People that buy cheap tyres

• Heroin Addicts
  • Americans
  • C*nts

totally agree with that man, especially the americans part!!

I wouldn't put budget tyres on my chopper.

Where about's in Hampshire are you mate, once you get your new motor, might be time for a mini meet :smile:

That's providing I do stick with a 197 :tongueout: I live in Aldershot so on the Surrey/Hampshire border.

Based on my experience I wouldn't worry too much about mileage, if maintained properly; the failures I suffered seemed common for the age, and didn't appear premature as a consequence of high mileage.

Yeh, that's what a lot of people have said. 80k miles town driving is a lot differento 80k miles motorway driving. The higher mileage one is very high spec'd and so it's VERY tempting. I just don't want there to be problems and soon. But that could happen to any car. As you said, problems are not always a consequence of high mileage. My 172 lasted 11 years (5 years me owning it) and with 125k miles before it went bang. I know others who went a long time before mine.

I'd go to a dealers and drive a 197 there, even if you have no intention of buying it, just to see if you actually like it. Then you can try and find a cheaper one to buy.

I'm around the farnborough/aldershot area now.
Albi 197. As echoed above enquire about the tyres. Anyone who cares for the car will have some good tyres on there.
Mileage isn't the be all and end all, 90k of motorway miles can be the equilvelent of a much lower mileage town driven car. Less stress, less corners on a motorway. That being said you dont want to buy a pampered princess thats never been pushed above 4-5k. These engines like a good revving every now and then. History is where it is, should see my Renault case that came with the car.
Also if no belt change factor in 700-900 for that big service.

Make sure to try cup/non cup too. I preferred non cupped but a lot is down to personal opinion and what use it'll have (mines a daily)
Edit to add: get one without TPMS unless you can afford the extra expense of the valve sensors and a reprogramming if it ever goes wrong. It's a nice luxury to have but can be costly.

Last edited:
I'd go to a dealers and drive a 197 there, even if you have no intention of buying it, just to see if you actually like it. Then you can try and find a cheaper one to buy.

I did that yesterday :smile: Took out a blue 197 for about 20mins and did like it. It was standard.

One of the things I'm also thinking is this car will be used daily... and a lot. If I got the 197 with Recaro's, Cup suspension, etc... is that going to be too aggressive for the amount of a daily drive I'll do... as opposed to a standard seat/suspension 197?

Only you can tell what will suit you. Some people love the recaros other don't
You need to try them both to see what you get on with and can live with.

What kind have you tried as its best to try both seats to see what suits, same with suspension set up?
You can always go standard and lower it later on as, if I remember rightly, it's easier to buy suspension to fit the non cupped then the cupped clios.
I could be wrong on that part though.

If you can get recaros for your budget you should and if you don't get on with them you can put them up to trade for standard + money your way later on, recaros will always be wanted by someone.

Last edited:
Recaro's and cup pack are hyped up to the extreme where buyers are told not to buy one without them, imo its something only you can know like tiababy says but its not the end of the world if you get one without them!

Standard seats hug you very nicely.

Ok people thanks. I'll test drive a standard one in the morning and then test drive the one with recaro's, cup suspension (basically a lux) in the afternoon. Hoping I can actually come home with one tomorrow.

I'd go for the recaros, not really any more suportive than standard but make the car feel a lot more special.

Probably best going for standard suspension if you're using daily