is there any point driving nice/modified cars anymore?

im abit fed up tbh

one of the main reasons i sold my old VTS was because i were fed up of the constant police attention/bother/ first name terms with traffic cops.

i drive sensible pretty much all the time because if i lose my license i lose my job, house, etc etc. but i am honestly fed up of getting pulled etc because im in a modified car.

it w\s the same with my old saxo so i got rid and bought something sensible (GTTDI GOLF) and driving about in the golf with it being a diesel i never had any bother with the law at all.

the same i my work van too, i never get any bother at all.

now as some of you knoe we also have an immaculate mk1 VTR thats 13 years old with subtle mods, nothing silly that the MRS uses now and again. i mean this car gets driven 2 or 3 times a month.

for some reason on the rare occasions that i drive it (its the MRS car but im insured on it, its taxed MOT'd etc fully legit) i get pulled over!!!!!

it got that bad at one point in my old car that i were getting pulled over 4 or 5 times a week so i took action against west yorkshire police and after that they were no longer allowed to pull me over without a valid reason like speeding or bald tires.

that was about 2 years ago, now i took the mrs car out the other week because it had been sat in the cold weather for ages and not been run. i took it to the garage to put some fuel in it, only to get pulled by the law blabbing on about speeding. the funny thing were i was doing 15 to 20 mile an hour in a 30 zone because of built up traffic so it was aload of rubbish, they were either just bored or heard the loud exhaust and thought they would waste my time.

the next time the car moved was about 3 weeks later when tonight i took it to pick amy up from tescos after she had finished work. i scraped all the ice off it and tootled down the road to pick her up (she had a crate with her and some cat food) we loaded the car up and set off.

i drove down the road and round the 1 way system and back up to our house and pulled up in our parking spot outside our house.

i was met by a copper on quad bike who again gave me attitude and started accusing me of speeding. i laughed and said "are you winding me up?"

he replied with "you were speeding round that one way system, on the duel carriage way section you were doing about 40 / 50 mph"

my response "i were doing 40 officer yes, its a 40 mph road"

his response "take this as a warning"

my resonse "a warning for doing the speed limit?"

his response "you were speeding now take this as a warning "

my response "happy christmas officer"

the funny thing if i had drove in the van and done the exact same thing i know that he wouldnt even thought about pulling me over.

things like this make me think twice about getting another car to modify, it brings back all the memories and hassle i used to have before and i really dont want it again.

i really want another car but is all the hassle really worth it anymore with coppers increasing to clamp down on modified cars?

Last edited:
It's strange, I've never been pulled over except when I was genuinely speeding.

It must be frustrating for you but I can't see anything you can do about it

I have modified all my cars in some way, usually the exhaust, and have never been stopped by the police. Guess its just the luck of the draw.

Used to own a bike with an open exhaust that set car alarms off, maybe I have an innocent face? :tongueout:

Got the Clio when I was 21 and never been pulled in it. To be honest I bought it excepting to spend most of my time sat in a police car but not to be. Been driving 5+ years and not been stopped once in all of that time. I have never driven slowly but I drive sensibly. I think that it is more the way they see the car driving. If they see are car tailgating or swapping lanes etc it screams 'speed'. If you see a single car driving along an empty road you arent able to guess its speed. The car being driven also has a lot to do with it.

I've been on the road nearly 8 years now and it's been all over Yorkshire and I different vehicles except in my work van and the golf. I really want another car again and to start doing track days but it really puts menotti the idea spending all that money on another car to get pulled every two seconds.

From the responses in this thread I'm guessing non of you have ever had any bother with the law ?

I once got full on arrested in my own car. Hand cuffed and everything.

Trying to tell me I had stolen it!!!

It must just be Bradford tbh

It must just be Bradford tbh

At the risk of sounding like a snob, you're probably right. :tongue_smilie:

I've only ever been pulled over once, I was speeding-ish so I did deserve it. Copper acted like a prize prick and tried to say I was uninsured too, even though I'd admitted to speeding and had been more than polite to him. Shame really, because I do have a lot of time for the Police as a whole and appreciate that they have a tough enough job at the best of times. Just a shame when they have arseholes like him on the force giving them a mixed reputation.

I'm the same tbh. I know the police are only trying to do their job and being arsey with them never gets you anywhere so I'm always right them.

The copper earlier was expecting mento be arsey with him and I did the complete opposite. I even wished him happy Christmas.

I don't have a clue why they can be pricks though. I really want another car and after my hopes of owning a 197 have been crushed so I have been looking at alternative cars to start doing track days and stuff. I reallly can't justify the expense though if every time i drive it I get pulled over and accused of an offence.

I wouldn't mind if I had actually done something wrong because then the police are just doing their job. I hate getting accused of something I haven't done it does my head in.

Living in essex with a modified car is a more serious offence than sex offending.

I am forever getting pulled over unfortunately, and make no mistake i drive to the letter of the law. If i lost my licence i would lose my HGV licence too and thats a death sentance to my career.

Never been done for anything but they call it 'random checks' to the point where they were checking tyres on a 2 week old car when i got it!

It does piss me off but the one thing i've learnt is if you treat them with respect they will let you get on your way eventually, instead of getting on their knees and identifying my decat :wink:

De cats are legal mate.

I know what your going through, doest the constant police attention drive you mad?

It's like you said, the police deal with that many scum bags, that they just expect you to be too. So when they come across someone like yourself, and probably a lot of people, they feel they have to act in a certain way. He probably felt like an arse when he rode off tbh!

I got pulled in my 8 year old 1.2 Clio. I was going too fast, but the police officer was an arse asking me if I owned the car, insurance etc. He thought he was going to find something wrong, tax or uninsured and take the car maybe. Of corse, the car was completely covered, taxed, mot'd etc, so he let me go.

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one Arran.

I bet alot of people get pulled and start giving the law attitude. Idiots if you ask me because they are not doing there selves any favours at all.

If I were a copper and someone started giving me attitude I know I would throw the book at them and check there car over with a fine tooth comb.

I have just remembered actually, I once got randomly pulled over and accused of being a drug dealer!!!

They asked me several times if I were selling drugs. Obviously i wasn't and the copper emptied my car of everything searching fir drugs.

You should of seen his face when I had a new locking wheel nut in a clear plastic bag and he shouted "ahha! What's thus here then?" thinking it was a bag of weed.

It was funny when he pulled out a locking wheel key, he was that pissed off that he shouted "if I see you and your car again I'm confiscating it and you will never see it again!"

I just got in my car and drove off shocked at how much of a prick he was.

i used to get a lot of hassle in my first couple of mini's i had OTR - suprising really as a mini isn't really what would come to your mind as a boy racers car. it got to the point of a couple of times a week, then told my dad (i sound about 7 years old here.... lol) and he went in to the police station with me and i never got hassled again :smile:
i think, with a minority of them, they literally just want to be c*cks, but then again, i've met a few alright ones too :wink:
everything about your car, they can check without even asking you, mot'd, taxed and insured can be checked, the only thing they need to pull you over for is to see if you are the person who the car is registered to and who's name is on the insurance, and if you are qualified to be driving/riding that vehicle.
obviously there's exceptions to being covered by your insurance third party and driving someone elses vehicle with their permission etc etc. but the way i saw it was, they only have to do all the above once, until one of them runs out, and then they would have a LEGITIMATE reason to pull you again.

stu.

My mate gets pulled over all the time, but he thinks he knows it all and drives round like a bit of a prat sometimes! was doing 90 in a 60 in the wet the other day and he got away with it!

I have been pulled up in my old clio coming back from work at 3am a couple of times but never in my 197, but then again i dont drive around in it that much.

I will have to see if that changes as i add more stuff.. cup spoiler soon and hopefully refurbed or new alloys this year

Last edited:
Not really dude, I certainly don't dislike them at all.

It seems that people have a different experience of Policing depending on where they live though. On any car or bike forum, whenever the P word is mentioned it seems to bring out the worse stories from people either from their own experiences or that of their mates. It's something that's always bugged me because love the Police or hate them, they are necessary and they do (the majority of them at least) do a fine job. Like any profession though, it does have it's share of cocks and it's usually bad experiences that people remember more vividly than good ones.

Last edited: