Interesting Induction Kit RR Data

richandgem

Platinum Member
Ok so this was all on our 182 but it proves how much Induction kits dont do. The 182 has a better chance of these sort of kits working than a 197 aswell.

After having the Catcams fitted to the 182 and remap done @ TDF I've been looking at a change to the induction system. After doing lots of research on different website (CS included) I was leaning towards a Carbon enclosed kit.

A friend of mine has a 182 thats off the road for a few weeks while it has some work done. About 6 months ago he fitted a BMC CDA kit so I asked if I could barrow it. He did say that it didn't seem to give any noticeable power gains and the noise it made was the same as before. A rolling road day had been organised @ TDF for yesterday so I thought it would be a perfect oppertunity to get the actual figures with it fitted.

This is the figure the car produced last month after the cams and remap done @ TDF
182PowerGraph2TDF17-04-10.jpg

And this is what the car produced yesterday with the BMC kit on
182PowerGraphBMCTDF19-05-10.jpg

Thats a loss of 6bhp, but more importantly a 15flb loss in torque. I was amazed at how much it lost tbh needless to say the standard air box was refitted before I left TDF. I shall be putting in an ITG panel filter and samco hose under Matt's advice

Try the JMS £150 induction kit, it's had alot of praise off cliosport and seen many proven gains on dynos.

I am interested in this, I am about to order an ITG panel, but what is the significance of the Samco?

Matt was saying (and Fred @ BTM) tell me that a Samco hose doesn't callapse as much so the air flows in better

Try the JMS £150 induction kit, it's had alot of praise off cliosport and seen many proven gains on dynos.

tbh mate having seen this and spoken to Matt I'm not going to bother. It takes a lot of worl to get actual power gains

inductions are just for sound not gains it sounds like ure going faster thats the thing lmao

You'd need a vacuum for a hose to collapse inwards. An air filter would have to be flowing almost no air for that to happen!

You'd need a vacuum for a hose to collapse inwards. An air filter would have to be flowing almost no air for that to happen!
think about it, u are kind of creating a vacuum. The filter is stopping a certain amount of air getting thorugh and the engine sucks in massive amounts of air at full throttle, I think you'd be surprised how much.

Plus when someone as knowledgable as Matt says it then it wont be far wrong, and when it was on the rollers for the remap you could see the hose drawing in

Maybe so, but this inward action can't be starving the engine of air or it would lose significant power at the top end, wouldn't it? I bet the cross sectional area of the hose is hardly affected at all otherwise the manufacturer would've done something about It during development.

Last edited:
Maybe so, but this inward action can't be starving the engine of air or it would lose significant power at the top end, wouldn't it? I bet the cross sectional area of the hose is hardly affected at all otherwise the manufacturer would've done something about It during development.

Top end the limiting factor becomes the inlet. I have the graphs of the 182 standard and after the cams were fitted overlayed somewhere. It shows that once you get past about 7k the graphs are the same, Matt tells me this is down to the limitations in the intake system.

As I said the amount of air the Clio engine needs is huge top end, and that elbow isn't very strong lol.

Its surprising how much you would loose by the elbow pulling in, just quickly measures the pipe and lets say at the top end its drawn in by 2mm a side. That would reduce the cross sectional area by around 11%

didn't seem to get the gains quoted at a recent NW rolling road it seems...

however, I have it fitted and it's a good bit of kit. i can't compare to standard as when i bought the car it had a Pipercross induction kit fitted... but compared to what i took off the V6 airbox is much more responsive and has brought back the 5k kick that was missing with the Pipercross.

Interesting feedback though Rich... have you thought of a ITG Maxogen? They seem to be the induction kit of choice..

how new was the induction as sometimes they take 3 to 4 k to break in. this could be a contributing factor

It had been on the car for about 9 months mate and had done around 5k.

And Gareth i did look at that kit bit I just can't be bothered with them all now. We have a great result from the mods we have so I'm happy with that, for now :wink:

Interesting read Rich, kinda confirms my suspicions that induction kits don't work. I run my airbox with the cap off, I'm guessing that probably has a negative affect on the airflow too. I may invest in some Samco hoses if they are said to be beneficial.

The benefit of the samco will be in as much as that it won't expand like a rubber hose giving consistent inlet flow and better intake velocity,nothing to do with collapsing.

had an induction kit on mine before i took it to matt and that was losing a massive amount of power also causing my car to run dangerously lean, so put the standard box back on with an itg panel filter and it ran much much better, also with a full set of silicone hoses