Interesting 'servicing + maintenance' video.............

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Paid Member

WOW is my thoughts !

You could argue modern fuels do the job of Redex - the latest Shell V-Power is supposed to be amazing ref cleaning your engine of carbon, soot etc.

I wouldn't have believed the other steps would have made as much difference as they did.

**Kinda interesting for most of us guys perhaps - because it's around the BHP of alot of our cars......

Reactions: kevlar
If you keep your car well maintained then it's a moot point. In fact, the only thing in that video that they should be showing is the redex, as it's not a service item.

If you own a car you should keep it maintained, regardless. Funnily enough I've got a bottle of redex in the shed and I've just filled the car up earlier so I'll chuck it in and let you know how many ponies it unleashes!! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: sevenfourate
If you keep your car well maintained then it's a moot point. In fact, the only thing in that video that they should be showing is the redex, as it's not a service item.

If you own a car you should keep it maintained, regardless. Funnily enough I've got a bottle of redex in the shed and I've just filled the car up earlier so I'll chuck it in and let you know how many ponies it unleashes!! [emoji23]

Absolutely....

As enthusiasts I suspect the majority of us do maintain our ladies to a much higher standard than the average car owner.

The point is: for us this proves that what we’re doing maintains not only longevity - but also performance. Meanwhile average Joe only manages nothing but a simple oil change once a year (If he remembers) and wonders why his car isn’t always ‘happy’. Or worse still does nothing at all preventative - and then wonders why it runs shit, breaks down or the engine smokes etc

Bit like most farmers I come across.

**Dons tin-hat as the farmers amongst us come out :smile:

Saw this a while ago! Yeagh, shows that maintenance is the key. I've been using Redex for a while now regardless of whether I fuel up with Tesco 99 (probable) or Shell, (increasingly likely). When my Merc went in for it's last service they tried to sell me a dose of a fuel additive for a price I wouldn't pay but I'd already added a dose of the Redex product that Redex advise using every 3000 miles plus I add the "shot" with most tankfulls. I do think mpg has improved & I'm happy to continue using this on both cars plus my wife's A1 as I like to think that I am looking after the car as best I can.

Reactions: sevenfourate
Absolutely....

As enthusiasts I suspect the majority of us do maintain our ladies to a much higher standard than the average car owner.

The point is: for us this proves that what we’re doing maintains not only longevity - but also performance. Meanwhile average Joe only manages nothing but a simple oil change once a year (If he remembers) and wonders why his car isn’t always ‘happy’. Or worse still does nothing at all preventative - and then wonders why it runs shit, breaks down or the engine smokes etc

Bit like most farmers I come across.

**Dons tin-hat as the farmers amongst us come out :smile:

I think that's why a lot of hot hatches and general enthusiast cars last a lot longer than others, preventative maintenance is one thing, and then there's the few that take it one step further and turn fixes etc into regular maintenance items.
Greasing slider pins, clearing out the scuttle area etc.... this can cost people a lot more money but the car will be thankful for it. I was like that with my 172 cup, it was my first car and I cherished it. I was working on it at least once a week, and it never broke down on me. The only issues I had were a battery that died without warning, which was replaced an hour later, and the chip in the key was stopping the car from starting, but I always managed to get it started. Once I got a new key that was sorted and I never had a single problem, if a gaiter or bush looked a little bit worn, it was replaced. I cleaned the inside of the bumpers, the lot.

Yes, you can get a car that will have an easy life that will go on forever without any regular maintenance but it'll drive like a sack of shit.
Our cars are known for handling so why skimp on maintenance that could potentially ruin what the car is about? There's always going to be cars that come and go, but the people that put their money where their mouth is end up with a car that is widely recognised, wether it's for a mega track build, a stupidly clean oem car or a tastefully modified oem+ build that has all the small touches that you need to look for, but will always find something that you hadn't noticed before.

I'm hoping that mine won't be one that comes and goes that everyone forgets about [emoji23]

So has every owner on here been buying up redex all weekend? - I must try some after seeing this, seems worth a shout for a few bucks - I thought as per locke that the 'better' fuel would do a good job on its own, but hey worth a punt interested to see what you guys think before/after.

Yeh amazing though how people do not keep servicing up - guy I work with had a VW Passat had it 3 years never serviced it once, did loads of miles and surprise, surprise he killed it - he then got an a4 estate nice looking car until he owned it for about 3 months...dents all over it drives like a lunatic to - madness!

So has every owner on here been buying up redex all weekend? - I must try some after seeing this, seems worth a shout for a few bucks - I thought as per locke that the 'better' fuel would do a good job on its own, but hey worth a punt interested to see what you guys think before/after.

I'm tempted too to give it a try. I always dismissed it as snake oil, so it's a surprise to see that so many people do actually use it.

Yeh amazing though how people do not keep servicing up - guy I work with had a VW Passat had it 3 years never serviced it once, did loads of miles and surprise, surprise he killed it - he then got an a4 estate nice looking car until he owned it for about 3 months...dents all over it drives like a lunatic to - madness!

That's another thing I don't get, people that have massive dents and don't do anything about it. It's a massive eyesore, just get it fixed or replace the panel ffs! [emoji23]

Reactions: kevlar