Insurance question

Hi everyone,

long time lurker, first time poster!

Am giving serious consideration to joining the 197 club but before I do I've got a few questions about insurance.

If its not a stupid question, for the purposes of insurance, what counts as a modification?

I'm 27 and looking at a FF 197 with the cup chassis. Do I have to declare the cup chassis to the insurers, because its not an aftermarket mod after all. And does the cup chassis have uprated brakes or is it just the chassis and suspension? Are factory fitted tinted windows a mod?

Unfortunately I only have one years no claims as a policy holder, because for the past 9 years I've only been a named driver on another policy, although my license is clean and I've never had an accident.

Anyway, the average quote seems to be around £1000+ ... s**t!

Any help/advice/tips muchly appreciated

Thanks in advance,

Will

Hi there Will, welcome along. The car should have been registered correctly with the DVLA, and using the reg the insurance company will be able to determine the correct vehicle so I wouldnt have thought you should have a problem. Try some of the insurers on this site, although if you are a member you get club discount :smile:

welcome will

i would tell the insurance company about the cup suspension even tho its not a 'Mod" as such telling them means youve covered all the bases

as for the uprated brake no they are all the same system its just the cup packed cars come with Red brembo's instead of silver

and a good insurance company for me has been sky a sponser of this site and cliosport,
did me a cracking deal knocking almost £300 off my renewal and they actually want to talk about your car, so cant praise them enough

neil

hi Will,

i have a F/F 197 i didnt say anything because thats how i brought it from Renault,

like Adrian ^^^^ said they can/should be able to tell from the reg plate which spec it would be mate.

if you have not made any modifications to the car then there is nothing to declare ?

chappo i know alot of the insurance companies that are now wanting to know about any optional extra's that are on the car just so everythink is covered!

i mean have you declared your recaros now being leather? as i can guarantee that if you havent they wouldnt replace them if anythink was to happen! its getting rather crazy now adays, i even made sure that sky knew my paint was LY and a 3 stage pearl so not your ordinary paint just so im covered!

chappo i know alot of the insurance companies that are now wanting to know about any optional extra's that are on the car just so everythink is covered!

i mean have you declared your recaros now being leather? as i can guarantee that if you havent they wouldnt replace them if anythink was to happen! its getting rather crazy now adays, i even made sure that sky knew my paint was LY and a 3 stage pearl so not your ordinary paint just so im covered!

i know what your saying mate but an optional extra ie cup to a /F/F 197 is how they come, you PERSONALLY have NOT made a modification to that car. :biggrin:

and yes i have declared my Recaro,s because i have made the modification. 8)

Factory standards and options are not classed as mods if they were fitted to the car on registration :smile:

Where do you live? A grand seems very steep! I recently got quoted £320 (Aviva) for my FF200 i have just got :smile:

Hey guys cheers for all your replies.

Jaxx and Chappo - cheers that's what the dealer said but wanted to make sure. The girls on the phone at most insurance companies i spoke to had no idea what I was talking about.

Wihtoutabix - exactly. Greenbee wouldn't give me a quote when I told them it had pre-market upgraded suspension

Sky offered £1030 :worried:

I live in Brighton , its not exactly Moss Side but there's plenty of 'characters' around :001_rolleyes:

Factory standards and options are not classed as mods if they were fitted to the car on registration :smile:

Where do you live? A grand seems very steep! I recently got quoted £320 (Aviva) for my FF200 i have just got :smile:

Based on this I just got a quote for £307 for my 197 (57 plate). That's £146 cheaper than my renewal with DL. Jaxx, I owe you one.

I am not sure that you are right... I think that you will find that if you crashed your car... your Xenon lights (for example) will be replaced with standard ones...

Your car will be replaced to its oridional spec, without options, unless you insure it as such!

you will probably find if you had a crash its the body shop that prices up the repair and what is needed, probably from a data base that will have the spec of the car like most parts places.

Based on this I just got a quote for £307 for my 197 (57 plate). That's £146 cheaper than my renewal with DL. Jaxx, I owe you one.

Nice one! I was put onto Aviva through the 7 day drive away and went through the guff thinking they were going to take the pee... i had to ask him to repeat it 3 times! Additional full Euro cover is an extra £68! Ill add that when i need it :smiley:

I am not sure that you are right... I think that you will find that if you crashed your car... your Xenon lights (for example) will be replaced with standard ones...

Your car will be replaced to its oridional spec, without options, unless you insure it as such!

I get where your coming from... this is where you have to stipulate with your insurance company that you will get a "like-for-like" vehicle in the event of it being written off. You should then get a clone of your car to the exact spec it was built with when new.

Admiral £712 - that's more like it. Cheers for your help!

Seriously give Aviva a call! I was with Admiral previously and they wanted to charge me £540 to insure my 200 :smile:

IMO the whole point of insurance is to give you back what you have lost (market value). I can say that I havent listed the options on my car as it is how it came from the factory. When I put my reg in it comes back as an R27 opposed to a 197 so you can make a reasonable assumption that they know what the spec of it is. Same with the Cup models you dont have to tell them it is uprated suspension or tinted windows as there is nothing you would be able to do to 'put it back to standard' as some companies request.

IMO the whole point of insurance is to give you back what you have lost (market value). I can say that I havent listed the options on my car as it is how it came from the factory. When I put my reg in it comes back as an R27 opposed to a 197 so you can make a reasonable assumption that they know what the spec of it is. Same with the Cup models you dont have to tell them it is uprated suspension or tinted windows as there is nothing you would be able to do to 'put it back to standard' as some companies request.

EXACTLY, 8)

@ MingerNick,

i dont think you right mate, if one of my xenons did brake/smash/crack/ or whatever then it WOULD and i mean WOULD be replaced with another xenon NOT a standard light unit. :biggrin:

List all options on your insurance as if you write it off, they will only give you a value for a like for like car.

ie you will get a basic value car back.

now a Clio200 is 17k a speced up one is 21k

Just out of interest chappo - did the insurance cost anymore for the leather retrim?

and which ins company?