Insurance question

Hi guys I have the black speedlines fitted to my 197 do these have to be declared as an extra to the insurance or are they classed as standard as dealer said it had no optional extras and no mods when asked, thanks

declare anything any exuse not to pay and they wont if you have a smack

i only used to pay about 200 -300 more to insure 7k of engine mods mate. its well worth it unless you have money to burn if a 3rd party crashed into you and it wasnt your fault u would lose the money for the wheels straight away

Just wondering cause insurance asked if it was modified or had any optional extras, when asked this dealer said no?????????????? Bit lost really, may just ring and ask insurance what it is classed as.

You dont have to declare it, as the wheels are renault and not aftermarket. Your car insurance payout figure however could change, if a stock clio197 is worth say 15k insured, yours with optional wheels might have cost you 16k. When you insure the car you tell them that so your cover will fully insure your purchase.

Just wondering cause insurance asked if it was modified or had any optional extras, when asked this dealer said no?????????????? Bit lost really, may just ring and ask insurance what it is classed as.

Answered your own question there mate, there an optional extra and as already metioned youe should declare them. Insurance companys differ in there t&c's so always worth being 100% clear on everything first.

I remember when i bought my 197 2 1/2 years ago and phoned up Tesco car insurance to tell them i had changed my car, the guy on the end of the phone wanted to know if i had any optional extras fitted on it from the factory. I could never understand why he wanted to know that?? The car is completely standard :001_huh:

My insurance company asked me to declare all optional extras on my car...

Interestingly (or not) they wanted an extra £59 pa to insure the car with the Renault Sport Exhaust Trims fitted, consequently I have now removed them! :worried:

In the event of a claim, I'd have doubted they'd notice...but...is it worth the risk if they then subsequently void the claim! I thought not...

Just guessing here, but I suspect there is a standard increase for an exhaust 'modification' so the premium would probably rise by the same amount if I changed to an Akraprovic or similar...

Strangely though, if I change the colour of the wheels this wouldn't affect the premium, but they'd like to be informed if I do.

Remember it's in the insurers interest NOT to pay out, so don't give them any ammunition. :thumbsup:

We just had a Police Cruise Liaison night up here in Edinburgh, and part of it there was two bodys from Aviva there.

They stated that anything from the Manufacturer is not a mod, at the end of the day you buy it like that.

Also any new mods do NOT need to be declared mid term policy only at renewal and new policy! so mod away through mid term and you do not have to declare, this goes for points aswell!!

IF you dont believe the above read your tiny Terms & Conditions

Ian

They stated that anything from the Manufacturer is not a mod, at the end of the day you buy it like that.

Also any new mods do NOT need to be declared mid term policy only at renewal and new policy! so mod away through mid term and you do not have to declare, this goes for points aswell!!

Wrong on both counts.

Insurers systems do not pick up most optional extras so yes they do need to be declared.

Modifications need to be disclosed as soon as they are fitted to the car, I have seen a post on Saxperience saying the same.. think about it this way:

You insure your 1.0L Corsa as a standard car. A week later you do a 2.0L turbo conversion. Do you honestly think that an insurer would be ok waiting until renewal to be informed of the engine swap?

I appreciate this is what you have been told but either there has been a major breakdown in communication between you and the insurer who you were speaking to or they just haven't got a clue.