197: if you could pull out all stops...... what engine conversion would you carry out??

Ok ok so Im not going to sell up.... love the car too much haha. Just everything about it, the handling is out of this world.

Obviously Im looking to do something different and carry on with my theme, obviously I could go down the r26 engine route, but wanted to try steer clear of that option.

what engines can be put into the 197?

Just wait till mines finished then charge it! :wink:

The meg would be good but people seem to struggling to find people to do it. A V6 would be nice in one of these :wink:

bottom end - new forged rods and bolts c/w hc forged pistons

head work and flowed with new cams

throttle bodies

:thumbup1:

bottom end - new forged rods and bolts c/w hc forged pistons

head work and flowed with new cams

throttle bodies

:thumbup1:

Sounds similar to what I'd like to do to the standard engine, avoiding turbos to keep the cost down and reliability up. Oh an TBs make me :drool:

If I wanted to drop a different engine in regardless of cost I'd find a 250 to steal the lump from. Then remap it with an uprated intercooler which should result in ~300hp, I'd strip the car to the shell and enjoy roughly 260bhp per tonne and a bucket full of torque.

Might need to buy a few boxes as backups though....

Gallardo V10. Ha ha! I would love to see someone do a Mk3 Clio V6 though, with the same set up as the bonkers original one! But I think in reality, if you were just going to change the engine, then going for a 2.0l turbo would be the best option. The Meg 250 would be ideal if you could get it all to tie in together!

V6 conversion would be great but probably best going for a more straight forward conversion (I.e megane) if you want it to be reliable too

I had a well known renault tuner to build me a turbo engine for my last clio a j reg 16v, that was about 14yrs ago and although it was a 270bhp build i had nothing but trouble with it, and all for circa £7k:nope:
Basic spec was, IIRC:
Arias low compresion pistons/rings,
Turbodynamics md53 hybrid turbo on custom manifold,
pace products charge cooler,
Superchips race icon ecu,
Cosworth green injectors,
modified sump for oil feed, ect ect.

Was awesome when it was going ok, but never again.

Supercharger route
hats off to Mike but first, £4000 is a lot of money. Second, make sure you live close to Jamsport cause these conversions are never plug n' play and third, you'll never be able to sell it. Modd'd cars never are. Forth, would like to see one will a few km done trouble free before parting with my hard earned. They do 'sound' pretty special though!!
R26 engine transplant
Only one done in a R27 to date (to my knowledge). Many have failed. The owner done it himself and states it took 300 hrs plus mapping to engineer. That equates to 5-7k garage time. I recon parts could easy come to 2 grand anyway....Does give you 270bhp with a map but again make sure you live close to the garage who fitted it and get use to being without your car for long periods throughout the year...
V6 Airbox & cam
My current plan is V6 airbox, ported and polished inlets, would like to 'cam it'...remap and then put the 4 grand into a Renny R26 F1 in white (modd'd 270ish bhp easy..) or a Renny 250 (£400 remap alone = 305bhp) in a year or so. I recon 15k with buy a good un'....

Food for thought....How many modd'd cars on here are being put back to standard within the last 3-6 months. Quite a few. The forum can be a modders grave yard.....Previous petrol heads have got bored with the clio lack of grunt and won't pay out 5 grand grand for 260bhp. Those who have I think have regretted it....when a remapped FR, GTI, S3, VXR or R26 with give you that and more for 400 reliable pounds....Can you imagine putting 4 grand into a R26...350bhp maybe....

Last edited:
make sure you live close to the garage who fitted it and get use to being without your car for long periods throughout the year...
Spot on, the year i had my car done it spent more time off the road or at the builders which was about 150miles away than it did with me, had to buy a mk1 fiesta xr2 to get about:nope: