200: I love my job

Nice. Make sure you let us know how it goes down. I think we're all eagerly awaiting a comparison review!

I'm curious how you will find it after owning the 200.

I must say that the new model is growing on me, especially in LY!

Should be interesting! Certainly looks much better in that photo than previous photos, but if im completely honest, im just not interested in buying a 5door with flappy paddles!

Certainly interested in what the engine behaves like though!

The 200T actually looks really good next to the 200 in that picture.

You can notice the lower roof and it doesn't look too much longer, bonnet rake is pretty much the same too.

imo the pictures don't do the 200t any real justice. When i was dragged shopping last week there was a standard Clio in the shopping centre and it looked really good, especially from the back. It looked squat and quite beefy like the 197/200.

Cant wait to see the 200T in the metal now !

It's the comparison we've all been waiting for. I love my 200 and the look of the new one.

Here are my first impressions after a fantastic weekend and 650 km in the new Clio RS:
- looks: looks are very subjective, all I can say is that I applaud the fact that Renault did their best to make the car look as sporty as possible, even with 4 doors. Seats provide a lot of support!
- interior: the quality stays a bit poor, a lot of "plastic feel" but the dullness is gone because of the use of different materials (some shiny black, some chrome, some orange brushed metal)
- handling: the chassis still is superb, in high speed corners the car stays stable and the back end doesn't slide one bit.
- performance: despite the fact that the car also has 200 bhp just like the previous one, the car feels faster, especially when exiting tight corners. The higher torque, the limited slip diff and the fast shifting gearbox are the cause of this. On a fast circuit, you won't gain a lot, but on a slower, tighter circuit the new RS will kick the old RS's ass. The engine also produces a nice grunt when the boost kicks in at low revs.
- gearbox: I'm not a fan of flappy paddle gearboxes, but this one is comparable with the DSG gearbox of VW and that's a compliment for Renault. The car senses your intentions very well and reacts fast.

Summary: making this car more practical and mainstream has had some effect on how the car feels. You're less involved in driving because you have to do less yourself, but when you hit the throttle, the car definitely is faster than the old one. Rumour has it that Renault is preparing a 230 bhp Cup version at this moment and that extra 30 bhp would make the car outstanding in it's class. If I compare the Clio 4 RS with the Mini JCW or the DS3 Racing, then the Clio wins easily. It's better handling than the others, cheaper and more practical in daily use.

I hope you all can understand what I'm trying to say and that I didn't write a lot of mistakes.

Last edited:
Awesome quick write up.

Sounds like the proof is in the pudding. Everyone needs to stop bitching and get out and drive one to me.

How did you find the brakes? Renault have ditched the Brembo's from what i can tell has that not had an impact?

the limited slip diff

The what?! :mellow:

How did you find the brakes? Renault have ditched the Brembo's from what i can tell has that not had an impact?

Probably won't on the road as you can just up the level of servo assyst and tune it to make a single pot bite hard, it's more their ability to stand up to the massive abuse of hooning/trackdays as brembo's (or any multi-piston caliper) will usually have a greater capacity to take heat and provide a higher level of pressure over more surface area.

Last edited:
Thing is it's not transmitting the power out to the wheel with more grip it's just absorbing the energy (heat/friction in the braking system) of the slipping wheel so it would seem to me it's just wasting power/energy. I just can't see it locking the open diff up enough to actually act as well as a mechanical diff.

The Yorkshireman inside me hates waste >:worried:

But... that's just the target audience they've gone for with the car I suppose.

In the same way the Megane has never completely convinced me (mostly due to it's looks) the new 200T is definitely failing but on more than a single front!