200: I love my job

Its a Cost vs Benefit thing with the LSD/ELSD. It does waste the energy in to the braking system but I would imagine its all about managing friction and optimal slip angles, whereas the LSD would do a better job of getting the power down (and helping you then put more down), I suppose the ELSD just helps manage whatever power your trying to force in to it.

Besides LSD's cost a fortune and french electronics cost 5p.

Looking at the picture above puts the car in to a much better perspective IMO (regarding looks). It always looked bloated and tall in the press shots, on that shot it looks much more sporty.

Its an Electronic Diff as opposed to a Limited Slip Diff is it not?

I'm pretty sure there was a LSD on the car I had, you can feel the difference in the steering wheel when you exit a corner. Or when you turn 180 degrees, the outside wheel starts making a weird rotation (don't know how to describe it).

I'll ask the people of Renault Belux Import to be sure...

there is no real mechanical limited slip diff available, its just what they cal "RS.Diff" which is braking the spinning wheel, but its good news that it works that well that you have mistaken it for a real one!

Is it even mechanically possible to have the LSD fitted in the EDC gearbox?

I'm pretty sure there was a LSD on the car I had, you can feel the difference in the steering wheel when you exit a corner. Or when you turn 180 degrees, the outside wheel starts making a weird rotation (don't know how to describe it).

I'll ask the people of Renault Belux Import to be sure...

e-diff only in clio 4....the tyre scrub will be due to non-ackerman alignment steering geometry

Good to know for my report, thanks for the explanation. Then this system has to be the next best thing, I was convinced that this clio had an lsd. :001_wub:

Thing is it's not transmitting the power out to the wheel with more grip it's just absorbing the energy (heat/friction in the braking system) of the slipping wheel so it would seem to me it's just wasting power/energy. I just can't see it locking the open diff up enough to actually act as well as a mechanical diff.

The Yorkshireman inside me hates waste >:worried:

But... that's just the target audience they've gone for with the car I suppose.

In the same way the Megane has never completely convinced me (mostly due to it's looks) the new 200T is definitely failing but on more than a single front!
I know what you're saying, and I'm definitely not a fan of the idea but it does work a lot better than you'd think.
For the same reason your inside wheel spins in an open diff, power is transferred to the outside wheel by using the brake on the inside wheel and it gives the wheel more "grip" like the outside wheel would be giving through the tyre.

TL;DR power finds its way through the diff to the wheels through the path of least resistance.

Whether its the friction plates inside a true LSD or the friction of the brake pads and discs, it all works in a very similar way.

I just don't like it being called "R.S. Diff" or anything to do with the differential, because it's simply a nifty ESP function.

^^ THIS post is the reason I just spent the last hour of my life Wikipedia'ing LSD's and how they work :smiley:.

Interesting stuff, I still don't understand half of it mind you, but given me loads more knowledge. :smile:

what gets me is renault seem to think they have re-invented the e-diff and dual clutch gearboxes - by saying its the "future" if that the case they are many years BEHIND the competition....

a few years back they would have been the LEADERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

the only innovation is the dampers but not sure even that is the way forward seeing that most makers use adaptive dampers ;/

Adaptive dampers would add £££'s to the price though. :worried:

you/we dont know how much the "normal" ones are and to be honest they spent years "developement" on them - whereas there are literally off the shelf adaptive ones avaialble

seems alot of effort for little return in some ways ;/

It funny cause the Clio T looks more like the car that should have followed 197 than 200 - its just a modern 4 door 197!!!!! Great write up by the way. The motoring press in lots of ways shouldn't like it but its obvious they do. Seen a few 'base models' on the road now, and I must say they have a real road presence. The car just looks so fresh compared to its rivals. Can you imagine this is storm grey with lowered suspension, larger wheels (its a bigger car than you think) and matt instead of shinny bits.

Seen on the Juke website, they are already mapping these engines to 250 bhp and the Japs already are seeing more than that on standard internals and bigger turbo's. We know if the Japs love this car, the options that will come available will be endless, and you wont have to sell a kidney to pay for it.

Last edited:
I'm intrigued by the flappy paddle box. Every car I've driven with one has been pants, with the exception of a 430, usually the upshift is quick but its the downshifts that take a week and I hate that.

I suppose I'm also a bit of a boy racer as I love to dip the clutch and rev the engine every now and again because it sounds awesome.. That's not happening with only 2 pedals.

It funny cause the Clio T looks more like the car that should have followed 197 than 200 - its just a modern 4 door 197!!!!! Great write up by the way. The motoring press in lots of ways shouldn't like it but its obvious they do. Seen a few 'base models' on the road now, and I must say they have a real road presence. The car just looks so fresh compared to its rivals. Can you imagine this is storm grey with lowered suspension, larger wheels (its a bigger car than you think) and matt instead of shinny bits.

Seen on the Juke website, they are already mapping these engines to 250 bhp and the Japs already are seeing more than that on standard internals and bigger turbo's. We know if the Japs love this car, the options that will come available will be endless, and you wont have to sell a kidney to pay for it.

What happends when they exceed the ratings of the gearbox?? :nope:

edc box is rated to 280nm.....then after thats its fingers crossed!

i would be more worried over the clutch pack and dmf to handle lots more torque on launch control - it could rip the clutch plate linings off :clap:

All these issues are relevant but that's what 'development' is all about isn't it? The worlds a different place, we need to embrace the fact or just enjoy our 197/200 for what it is. The new car is less aimed at us, and more aimed at others. The new Clio is 20k+. Sorry but it needs to be more than a 'one trick pony' in today's one car families. The current Clio is a hard car to justify if its your only car, especially if your only using it for day to day driving.

All these issues are relevant but that's what 'development' is all about isn't it? The worlds a different place, we need to embrace the fact or just enjoy our 197/200 for what it is. The new car is less aimed at us, and more aimed at others. The new Clio is 20k+. Sorry but it needs to be more than a 'one trick pony' in today's one car families. The current Clio is a hard car to justify if its your only car, especially if your only using it for day to day driving.

One car families? What world do you live in.

Just about every family has at least 2 cars.