i.d. help! Airbox thingy?

Scalino65

Paid Member
Hi. Chasing rattles down in my rs200 and an airbox "thingy" has come loose. I'm trying to work out what it is. So..the cold air intake goes fro the left of the radiator and before it gets into the engine the pipe splits and has a take off to a plastic "box" that sits right underneath the coolant reservoir. What is this plastic box? From what I can see of it, it has an intake from the cold air feed as per above but there doesnt appear to be any outlet and its not plugged into anything electrical.
Can anyone tell me what this is/does?
Cheers
Will

so, I think the bit I'm talking about is the airbox on the far right of this picture. Its become detached and is rattling about (its a devil to get to). What is it and what purpose does it serve? cheers. Will

It adds still air capacity to the system and reduces the induction noise it has a little stick and ball that sits into a cup at the bottom and a plastic rivet which is hard to refit. Chasing rattles can be a big job the noise can come from where you don't expect it. You have to understand the noise to work out what's causing it some sources I have found are the radio dash slot, the clocks behind the steering wheel put your finger on the Perspex and see if it stops and can be caused by the upper engine torque mount. Put a bit of reasonable for the job sponge to stop the aux air box from rattling and take a drive that will be a quick way of zeroing in on the part another I found under the scuttle around the center of the wiper mechanisms it was an intake guide for the cabin heater system. To the left of the radiator behind the bumper there is a plastic air blocking plate that clamps onto the condenser which can rattle a bit. The main airbox is the same as other lesser capacity Clio's.
1592685817442.png
1592685386375.png

There is a clip that is near the neck of the windscreen washer bottle that anchors the loom along the plastic bulkhead when the anchor is not clipped in can make a rattle on startup that sounds more serious than it is. The other bits can be the bolts loose on the plastic undertray there is a washer on them and if not tightened up can jingle quit a bit.