hub ball joint f**Ked!!

I have 2 spare used hub carriers which were replaced for new to get my car through the MOT. Bottom Ball joints had excessive play. I needed the car so couldn't wait for RSport to send the ball joints out.

Last edited by a moderator:
i canged mine on my 197

i was going to buy just the ball joint from RS but in the end bought the whole hub carrier. think it was about £180.

was a pain in the arse to do on the driveway and alot of the nuts were so rusty it was hard not to damage anything else.

is the clio 200 set up the same as the 197 or did they up-rate the balljoints?

i canged mine on my 197

i was going to buy just the ball joint from RS but in the end bought the whole hub carrier. think it was about £180.

was a pain in the arse to do on the driveway and alot of the nuts were so rusty it was hard not to damage anything else.

is the clio 200 set up the same as the 197 or did they up-rate the balljoints?

Exactly the same as far as I know.

some reviews (think EVO) said the 200 now comes with megane front hub assembly - i thought it was strange as i always thought the 197 had the megane set up too!

some reviews (think EVO) said the 200 now comes with megane front hub assembly - i thought it was strange as i always thought the 197 had the megane set up too!

it has a set the same the megane ie perfo-hub system....

the magane uses bigger sealed type thrust bearings whereas the clio uses smaller and dare i say cheaper ball joints for the perfo-hub swivel system

dont think the 200 are any different - its the top mounts that changed on the 200 - when i get chance i will have a nosey at a 200 set up hub assembly

Cheers. I will try and find the review which says the 200 now comes with megane perfo hub. I thought it was the same as the 197 to be honest

What it thought too

Evo first drive review of the 200;

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/235737/renaultsport_clio_200_cup.html

' Finally, all 200s get an ‘independent steering axis’ front suspension (RevoKnuckle in new Ford Focus RS speak, but in fact a system that’s been working brilliantly on Renaultsport Méganes for a while) that reduces torque steer and works in conjunction with an uprated torsion-beam rear axle for greater precision on turn-in.'

Going off this I thought maybe the Megan's had beefed up ball joints or something but had always thought it was the same as the 197 and megane.

I think autocar said a similar thing too

What it thought too

Evo first drive review of the 200;

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/235737/renaultsport_clio_200_cup.html

' Finally, all 200s get an ‘independent steering axis’ front suspension (RevoKnuckle in new Ford Focus RS speak, but in fact a system that’s been working brilliantly on Renaultsport Méganes for a while) that reduces torque steer and works in conjunction with an uprated torsion-beam rear axle for greater precision on turn-in.'

Going off this I thought maybe the Megan's had beefed up ball joints or something but had always thought it was the same as the 197 and megane.

I think autocar said a similar thing too

worked on both and done repairs on both and they are the same in principle/execution but the bearing arangements are quite different - the megane onw is quite beefed up - still have issues with bearings seizing which is more expensive than the clio setup

megane set up

2007-renault-megane-sport-5_460x0w.jpg

clio

Did os and ns joints on the wife's car-fiddley job, but did it on the drive-paid £200 a side, but wasn't aware of replacing the ball joints or any discounts , so paid full Renault price :-(

Ian.

think you need a press or have to put the upright in the oven to warm it up to swap out just the ball joint

Talking to simon at 20/10 racing he keeps his 'new' ball joints in the fridge, when it comes to replacing them he heats up the old ones to get them out and whilst the carrier is still hot, pops in the cold new one, job done.

I'm after a drivers side hub set up if anyone has their old ones they want to get rid of.