how to up MPG?

currentley averaging 33.8mpg on shell V-power, but thats block changing, not going above 50mph and changing up at like 2000rpm......yh it is boring but i get my excitment of driving the car at track days so i fell no need to go fast day to day driving

I've given up with MPG, my Scania only does 5MPG on a motorway run so nothing I do in any car will undo that. :smiley:

I like warm summers and snowy winters, so I don't see a problem with so-called ''global warming'' really. :smiley:

They really are bad.

we used to run a couple of 182's and my wife could average 40 mpg on her run to work.

The 197 is 34 mpg at best.

We can get 37 ish from my Megane R26 with similar driving. Which is a heavier turbo car.

I think its all in the gearing. 6th should have been much longer for cruising.

I average around 30mpg in mine, does spoil the car to some extent and certainly won't help residuals. :worried:

I've considered getting a cheap car to run along side the Clio, diesel Lupo or G1 Insight, but then I think if I was to do that, I'd rather change the Clio for something a bit more special...

Unless the roads are empty/particularly nice I do tend to drive it fairly leisurely, in order to get the Clio to really go you do have to rev it which I don't like doing in urban environments - just looks chavvy imo.

I got this last week from half a tank of super unleaded.
IMAG0093.jpg
all part of the car.
If I wanted higher MPG then I would buy a diesel

I don't understand how everyone gets such low mpg!? I drive mine how I want to and would struggle to get less than 27mpg, perhaps it's always subconsiously on my mind about driving smoothly to save a few quid (Used to be forced to do this when I started driving with not much dosh!). Or, maybe my trip computer is wrong lol

Anticipate everything use your gears not your brakes. I usually get 27-30mpg, then 37ish on motorways.

Doesn't your car use no fuel when your coasting in gear though? I've generally always used my Gears instead of brakes and I get decent mpg. Learned something new lol

You're correct, doesn't use any fuel when slowing down in gear (Feet off all pedals). But in that small amount of time when you're changing gear it is using fuel, if you're using your brakes then you don't have that time when you're in neutral.

If I use the gears though surely if im not coming to stand still I will be in correct gear to pull away?

iv'e got the old gearbox (06 plate) plus only recently taken the mid silencer out and love how it sounds, so can't help flooring it.

If I use the gears though surely if im not coming to stand still I will be in correct gear to pull away?

Yes, fuel saving depends on how many gear changes you make though. If you're going 5th-4th-3rd-2nd before pulling away this will use more fuel than slowing on the brakes and going from 5th-2nd due to the increased time you're not in gear.

It's small savings but as they say...every little helps!

Difference being most other hot hatches are turbo. So if you want to pootle along at 70mpg, you can get well over 40mpg easy. I used to get 44mpg on a motorway run on my Mk5 GTI and that was a DSG.

On a motorway run in the Clio you are lucky to get 30mpg.

I get about 32 doing 70, I'll have the ask the big bruv what he manages with an even larger turbo....

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tomc197 Clio General Chat 5
Jools Clio 197 Area 21
L Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust and Air Intake 22
E1bert Clio General Chat 17
Gus Clio General Chat 17