how to up MPG?

I know its not the usual question to be asked about a performance car, but no matter how I drive I can't seem to get mine past 25mpg!

It was serviced before I picked it up and the air filter and oil seemed clean, but Ive not checked the plugs. Next one to try?

I know its not the usual question to be asked about a performance car, but no matter how I drive I can't seem to get mine past 25mpg!

It was serviced before I picked it up and the air filter and oil seemed clean, but Ive not checked the plugs. Next one to try?
thats good 25 lol

I'm trying to get mine to 28 and i'll be delighted! Haha. Can't seem to get past 27.7 though, it stops me from wanting to put the foot down. :worried: Sometimes I like to change it so I can't see, then the fun begins!

I average 30mpg in mine too.

It's probably largely down to driving style. Drive very gently on a cold engine, changing gear before 3k rpm and using light throttle.

Even when up to temperature changing gear early and slowing down for corners/roundabouts by taking your foot off the throttle a fair way before you need to brake. Remember braking is wasting energy so the less you brake the less energy you waste.

Then keep to the speed limit on motorways or for mega mpg cruise at 60mpg (I've seen over 40mpg doing this).

thing is you can drive like a bit of a saint and get 28-maybe 30 if on a long run.

Or just drive it like its meant to be and get 25.

Its a lot of effort for little gain imo

The Clio is just crap at economy. Something you have to live with. I used £150 just getting to Scotland and back. Bit of a joke to be honest. 2 full tanks of fuel for not much over 600 miles.

It's now worse than other hot hatches for the most part, buy a diesel if you want economy. Sorry that's not very helpful but it's true.

It's now worse than other hot hatches for the most part, buy a diesel if you want economy. Sorry that's not very helpful but it's true.

Difference being most other hot hatches are turbo. So if you want to pootle along at 70mpg, you can get well over 40mpg easy. I used to get 44mpg on a motorway run on my Mk5 GTI and that was a DSG.

On a motorway run in the Clio you are lucky to get 30mpg.

keep the car serviced - quality synthetic oil
and synthetic in the gearbox

makes sure the tacking is correct and that tyres pressures are correct
leave the air con off
use as high a gear as possible
when at traffic lights switch the engine off

trouble is the price of fuel.when i bought the 197 petrol was 80p a lt now nearly £1.40 a lt it feels like you getting less mph for your money

what are peoples expectations of what the mpg are when you by these pocket rockets???

keep the car serviced - quality synthetic oil
and synthetic in the gearbox

makes sure the tacking is correct and that tyres pressures are correct
leave the air con off
use as high a gear as possible
when at traffic lights switch the engine off

I would agree with all of those except at traffic lights, in stationary traffic yes, but I don't think there is a saving to be had at lights. By all means try it and get back to us though...

BenW pretty much hit the nail on the head, high gear as possible without the engine bogging down, don't brake of accelerate unnecessarily, anticipate hazards and back off the throttle - you might end up being able to maintain more speed. Slowing gradually down to say 50 and then gently accelerating back up to 70 uses less fuel then sticking at 70 and having to slam on the anchors down to 30, before accelerating again. Most important tip is probably to try to drive smoothly.

The type of use also makes a big difference, I typically average over 30mpg, but on the latest tank I have only been pootling around town so am sat at around 25mpg.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Tomc197 Clio General Chat 5
Jools Clio 197 Area 21
L Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust and Air Intake 22
E1bert Clio General Chat 17
Gus Clio General Chat 17