Holidays 2018..............

Not been to Norway, but I've been to Denmark a few times as I have a friend out there I met when I was there in 1972! as @///M said Copenhagen is fantastic. I've travelled the length of Denmark by car as we drove to Copenhagen & toured up to the far north of the country to where my friend lives. Also done a couple of day trips to Sweden from Copenhagen. One by hydrofoil before the bridge was built & then over the bridge on an open topped London style double decker bus. The bridge is amazing if you like big engineering projects & the open bus was a great way to see it on the gloriously sunny day we had.
Longer term I plan to tour Norway by car as I want to drive the Atalantic Road (more amazing engineering & another great bridge!) and also the "Troll's Ladder" which is a great road of hairpin bends and height gain in a short distance with amazing views.
I didn't find Denmark TOO expensive, but looking at the day trips I'm planning in Bergen Norway will be pricey!My friend's town in the north oif Denmark is full of drunk Norwegians every weekend who come over on the ferry for cheap Danish beer.
As said by Mes the women are GORGEOUS!!! Apparently there's a shortage of men in Sweden so go east young man!

That bridge is AMAZING. Been over on the train a few times. Really amazing experience flying along on a train and all you can see around you is sea!

CHEAP DANISH BEER??? :smiley: Is there such a thing? I remember being stunned (and a little upset!) at the £9 a pint prices when I first went it 2006.

That bridge is AMAZING. Been over on the train a few times. Really amazing experience flying along on a train and all you can see around you is sea!

CHEAP DANISH BEER??? :smiley: Is there such a thing? I remember being stunned (and a little upset!) at the £9 a pint prices when I first went it 2006.
It wasn't that expensive when I went. Must be the spit & sawdust bars I frequent. Do you stay/drink in top hotels?:wink:

Reactions: ///M
It wasn't that expensive when I went. Must be the spit & sawdust bars I frequent. Do you stay/drink in top hotels?:wink:

Accommodation is something else that we have found to be pricey in CPH.

But for beer, yes John, you're probably right, we always drink the good stuff while over there which isn't cheap wherever you are I guess. Some of the world's best beers come from Denmark.

Reactions: Johnny 99 and Beany

But for beer, yes John, you're probably right, we always drink the good stuff while over there which isn't cheap wherever you are I guess. Some of the world's best beers come from Denmark.
Probably

I’ll get my coat...

I think "cheap" is a relative term. The run of the mill stuff like Carlsberg/Tuborg is slightly more than in the UK, but not enough to worry about. It's also stronger & better tasting than the stuff brewed under licence in the UK. I've always found Denmark generally slightly more expensive than home. I think Norway is going to be on another level. I absolutely love Scandinavia though. Sometime I would like a visit Helsinki in winter, taking the ferry over from Sweden.

Probably

I’ll get my coat...

:smiley:

Winner! Had to be done mate.

Ps. Their claim of “probably” should read definitely not! Although said brewer have made some very good beers at times and held the title of the “most expensive beer in the world” for a time. Think it was like £150 a pop if I remember correctly! And it was GOOD!!!

Reactions: Johnny 99
I think "cheap" is a relative term. The run of the mill stuff like Carlsberg/Tuborg is slightly more than in the UK, but not enough to worry about. It's also stronger & better tasting than the stuff brewed under licence in the UK. I've always found Denmark generally slightly more expensive than home. I think Norway is going to be on another level. I absolutely love Scandinavia though. Sometime I would like a visit Helsinki in winter, taking the ferry over from Sweden.

Did you ever do the tour at Carlsberg? Incredible facility!

Did you ever do the tour at Carlsberg? Incredible facility!
Strangely enough I haven't done that one despite having visited Copenhagen 3 times. Went to the Heineken place in Amsterdam. Not the brewery tour I was expecting, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

:smiley:

Winner! Had to be done mate.

Ps. Their claim of “probably” should read definitely not! Although said brewer have made some very good beers at times and held the title of the “most expensive beer in the world” for a time. Think it was like £150 a pop if I remember correctly! And it was GOOD!!!
Makes your £9 beer sound like a snip! Jeez though, I wouldn't pay £150 for a bottle of really good Scotch. Law of diminishing returns kicks in!

Strangely enough I haven't done that one despite having visited Copenhagen 3 times. Went to the Heineken place in Amsterdam. Not the brewery tour I was expecting, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's probably a very similar experience.

Like a big corporate, automated stainless laboratory and not beery looking at all, but very impressive?

Makes your £9 beer sound like a snip! Jeez though, I wouldn't pay £150 for a bottle of really good Scotch. Law of diminishing returns kicks in!

Just looked it up, was $400 per 375ml bottle. It was bloody good though.

The world's most expensive beer (with some arguments) is actually from Scotland and it comes in a taxidermied stoat or squirrel.

Looks like this:

brewdog_the_end_of_history.jpg

It's probably a very similar experience.

Like a big corporate, automated stainless laboratory and not beery looking at all, but very impressive?
Heineken experience is like a theme park. Loads of games, videos etc. Also at one point you are put through a virtual reality experience of the brewing process from the point of view of a grain. You are heated, sprayed with water etc. Weird but fun.

Heineken experience is like a theme park. Loads of games, videos etc. Also at one point you are put through a virtual reality experience of the brewing process from the point of view of a grain. You are heated, sprayed with water etc. Weird but fun.

Yeah, sounds kinda similar but with a bit more Dutch quirkiness!

Just looked it up, was $400 per 375ml bottle. It was bloody good though.

The world's most expensive beer (with some arguments) is actually from Scotland and it comes in a taxidermied stoat or squirrel.

Looks like this:

View attachment 124617
I suppose that's better than coffee made from beans that have passed through an animal
Seriously tho that is some good coffee
You've tried it?

Reactions: Beany
I suppose that's better than coffee made from beans that have passed through an animal!

The beer in the Stoat is actually pretty rough. Not an enjoyable experience at all.

However, I've had a few beers made with those "special" beans you're talking about. Bloody gorgeous.

In fact, to stay on theme the best one was Danish. A brewery called Mikkeller make a beer called Beer Geek Breakfast which is a big stout with a truck load of coffee in it. They did a special version called (not kidding) "Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast (Pooh Coffee Cask Festival Edition)"

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sevenfourate General Chat 5
Chris General Chat 66
sevenfourate General Chat 34
R Clio General Chat 8
Mike General Chat 19