Help: Why is the 197 so twitchy under braking?

Twitch under braking from your 197: Yes or No

• 197 Full Fat - YES

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • 197 Full Fat - NO

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • 197 Cup - YES

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • 197 Cup - NO

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • 197 Lowered/Coilovers - YES

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • 197 Lowered/Coilovers - NO

Votes: 5 8.9%

• Total voters
Theory is that pressing it only slightly disables the aids, but they're still on, and that holding it 'til the message goes means fully disabling it.

That's not true.

You just need to press the button and it will disable ASR/ESP - tested it on track/everyday drive.

I did say it was just a rumour. :wink:

Same again today with aids "fully switched off" (assuming rumour is true). It's not the rear that's wagging tbh.

And it doesn't immediately jink right then left. Maybe half a second it brakes straight then jinks right then back again.:?

You're not wrong, my old A3's ESP was a bloody nightmare. It'd start juddering in panic on fast sweeping bends, like motorway link/slip roads. Was a bit dodgy pulling out too, as it'd cut you dead in the middle of a junction - it went straight off every time I got in it.

I'd be interesting to see what people who've only driven modern cars make of old skool stuff, Christ knows what they'd make of RWD.

Ahhhh, the good old days eh!

I did say it was just a rumour. :wink:

Same again today with aids "fully switched off" (assuming rumour is true). It's not the rear that's wagging tbh.

And it doesn't immediately jink right then left. Maybe half a second it brakes straight then jinks right then back again.:?

most mercs even when "off" its still on......think there are some cars that holding the switch down does work !

I carried out some braking tests last night and also tested the traction control theory about pressing the button until the light goes off.

I couldn't get the back end to become twitchy at all, i have a r27 lowered on H&R springs, it just stayed straight and as usual stops from high speeds very quickly and easily.

Maybe you finding your car is twitchy could be the standard suspension and non-cup chasis?

With the traction control i decided to test this from stationery with it on then the button pressed once and then till the light went off. In all 3 cases the abs didn't kick in, and i felt no difference in feel of the brakes or the car wanting to twitch.
I also tested starts and a little bit of handling and have come to the conclusion that when you press and hold the button it steps the t/c off a bit basically its still on but not as intrusive allowing you to push slightly harder but not to a point of no return.
These are just my thoughts i'm no expert and I wouldn't recommend anyone testing these theories for themselves.

edit: Oh and I clicked the wrong answer on the poll...mines lowered and no twitch, I clicked yes by mistake.

Last edited:
Mine does it with worn front tyres from about 130mph under very hard breaking,hopfully the cup wing on the rear will give it a bit more down force at the back to help keep it stable.

Mine doesn't do this at all, but i think my front calipers are knackered and need a good stripping down. Early 197, no cup suspension etc.

mine does this a little under extreme breaking (from 60 to 10 in what felt like a few seconds) this has happened in all 3 clios I owned mk2 1.2 16v mk3 1.2 tce 16v and the mk3197 2.0 16v id say its normal.. oh I owned the 1.2 tce from new and it happened too.. ps I own an R27 so it has cup suspension/chassis