Help: Why is the 197 so twitchy under braking?

Twitch under braking from your 197: Yes or No

• 197 Full Fat - YES

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • 197 Full Fat - NO

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • 197 Cup - YES

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • 197 Cup - NO

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • 197 Lowered/Coilovers - YES

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • 197 Lowered/Coilovers - NO

Votes: 5 8.9%

• Total voters
Interesting results of the vote, generally people like me with the FF feel a twitch under braking, 3 however don't, but I wonder how many of us have had brake fluid changed before the 4 years 72,000?

Only 1 Cup owner that feels the twitch and the rest of the Cup and Modded owners have no twitch, so it points to the soft suspension of the FF and the MacPherson struts also having the advantage of 10 per cent increase in bending stiffness in the Cup chassis!!

Still going to get my brake fluid changed and pads degalzed and an allignment check after I get my KW's fitted and then hopefully I wont have the problem anymore :smile: Tyre pressures were spot on. Just got to get used to braking hard lol!

Thanks for all the input and help guys and feel free to keep voting!

I had this on my FF 197 since day 1, however only under on the limit braking and on low grade tarmac, doesn't happen on fresh one. I don't think it has anything to do with the ESP but I will give it a try next time I go out for blast.

I haven't really experienced this, but perhaps I'm just used to it, having only owned Clios! Lol! I haven't had the ABS kick in n the dry as of yet, had the tyres squeeling under braking though. This is something that used to really annoy me in my mk2 1.2 Clio, the ABS was always coming on. Even though it had decent 185 tyres on alloys.

I'll be the Cup owner, but I'm actually a Cupped FF owner :wink:

Still not tried no ESP as been wazzing down up here and I'm not doing it in the wet!

Just fitted carbone lorraine pads to my FF 197 which are immense compared to standard pads. Still wouldn't say it was twitchy under braking, massive nose dive though

ben u on KW's? mine hardly dives under braking or squats under acceleration.

Right. Same stretch, very slight left hander downhill d/c approach to a r/bout.

Switched TC off (only pressed it, didn't do the holding it down thing).

Not even tatering it, 70 and just gave them a firmish prod, certainly far from "OMFG I'm going to die" type stopping.

Held the wheel firm.

Car did a slight weave right, then back to the left 'til it was back pointing where it started. Weird.

Wheel didn't budge throughout.

Interesting :smile: No OMG like mine! But still a left to right with ESP off?!

I've driven my car all week to work and back (200+ miles a day) still not got the brake fluid changed as I haven't had time. Been driving fairly quickly and put the brakes on hard from time to time and had the slight twitch left and right but nothing to worry about.

Looking back now I just think the reason it moved so much last time was becuase I literally slammed on the brakes from 80ish to try get to a halt, as they pulled out on me and and caught me completely by surprise, when you know what's coming I think it's a different story!

Next test will be same stretch and speed but having held the "aids" button for 10s or however long it is so that the light goes out.

If still the same I'll run the same tests on another stretch of d/c to make sure it isn't just tramlining because of ruts or something.

leave the traction control on in normal driving guys its saved my bacon a few times. like not letting the car go too sideways n all that.

leave the traction control on in normal driving guys its saved my bacon a few times. like not letting the car go too sideways n all that.

Imo it's turd. But maybe I'm a bit old skool. Cuts power too easily which I just find frustrating, especially when the wheels aren't even slipping.

Besides, if you've had to rely on it for moments like that maybe you should slow down a bit and try driving according to the conditions and the road that you can see. :wink:

Whats the difference between pressing the T/C button and holding it?

TC Off light comes on and then goes off again, along with the message. I'm not sure it's ever been substantiated as to whether it fully disables the ghey aids is true or not.

Theory is that pressing it only slightly disables the aids, but they're still on, and that holding it 'til the message goes means fully disabling it.

ABS always remains on though regardless

When I was a lad, we didn't have blah blah blah... and I never died!!

That said, I'll be throwing it around somewhere safe with it off first time around.

Seriously, it's that bad in combo with the Conti's that in dry conditions a few months ago it was cutting power on the exit of a r/bout. Despite easing off the pedal and re-applying power "gently" (I never just pin it) it cut it again.

The metro to the inside of me was going quicker! lol

The sad thing is these days people think TC/ESP/EBD will save your life regardless and almost use it as justification to drive too quickly for the conditions thinking the car will save them. And they also seem to think that anyone that drives a car without them, or turns them off, is a totally irresponsible mental.

Last edited: