Help me convince my brother to get a r27 instead of an r26

Right guys here it is, my younger brother by 4 years is looking to upgrade from his 05 Fabian vrs. He's after a liquid yellow r26f1 Megan and I do agree they are pretty cool but I think he should be a bit more opeinded. He is determind on the liquid yellow so I think he should look at a r27 Clio.
I think he will get a lot out of driving the clio, I think he's chasing figures with the Megan on about getting it mapped etc etc. so let's tell him how good these cars are. Also I may let him have a blast in the 200 see what he thinks. The clios just look so wide and chunky!! Love mine.

Cheers guys. Joe

Ps I'll get him to join and have his say on this

If he's after the big numbers then the R26 is the car for him.

Can also be picked up very cheap now-a-days also.

"I ain't getting in an R26, Mr T only rides in an R27 fool"

MrT.jpg

Buzz noooo this isn't how this is meant to go haha. I thinks mega are cool too. Just think he'd get a lot out of the Clio.

Have an R26 in LY which is very quick and looks the dogs. However my 197 cup was and still is the best car i have owned. The Meg is very fast but not very exciting. The 197 never failed to make me smile every time i drove her.

Where's Mikeh to add his tuppence!?! I'm sure he'll be along shortly...

But, I will say now on his behalf. He has a very rare White R26. He sold his 197 to get it and not a day goes by where he doesn't miss and pine for his old 197 back, much like Simon says (no pun intended) above. It got so bad that despite also having a 182 on his drive, he's now in the process of getting back in the 197 game. And believe me, his Meg' is nice.

I've never driven one, but after being in Mikes, what I will say is that it wasn't as quick as I expected. The main thing I took away from it was how much grip it had and how well it went around corners. In essence, from the passenger seat it just felt like a big Clio. I didn't come away from it thinking ''wow, need a Meg'', I came away from it thinking ''add a diff' to the Clio shopping list''.

Whichever car he buys he won't go wrong. It depends what he wants out of it. The Clio isn't THAT much slower than the Meg' in standard trim, but obviously the Turbo lump will always win in the £/BHP stakes if he's chasing figures. And if he is chasing figures to that extent then there's easier engines to get gains from than the Megs'. If he wants the best car in it's class then either car will tick that box.

In fact, the only other person I know with an R26 also wants a 197/200...

Personally, I'd take a 197. And throw a diff' in. But I'm biased. :wink:

Where's Mikeh to add his tuppence!?! I'm sure he'll be along shortly...

But, I will say now on his behalf. He has a very rare White R26. He sold his 197 to get it and not a day goes by where he doesn't miss and pine for his old 197 back, much like Simon says (no pun intended) above. It got so bad that despite also having a 182 on his drive, he's now in the process of getting back in the 197 game. And believe me, his Meg' is nice.

I've never driven one, but after being in Mikes, what I will say is that it wasn't as quick as I expected. The main thing I took away from it was how much grip it had and how well it went around corners. In essence, from the passenger seat it just felt like a big Clio. I didn't come away from it thinking ''wow, need a Meg'', I came away from it thinking ''add a diff' to the Clio shopping list''.

Whichever car he buys he won't go wrong. It depends what he wants out of it. The Clio isn't THAT much slower than the Meg' in standard trim, but obviously the Turbo lump will always win in the £/BHP stakes if he's chasing figures. And if he is chasing figures to that extent then there's easier engines to get gains from than the Megs'. If he wants the best car in it's class then either car will tick that box.

In fact, the only other person I know with an R26 also wants a 197/200...

Personally, I'd take a 197. And throw a diff' in. But I'm biased. :wink:

Thanks for saving me all that typing Will, you only got one bit wrong, I dont want a fugly 200

If you join us at Aintree and John takes you out in his meg, you might change your mind on the pace of the meg....

Thanks for saving me all that typing Will, you only got one bit wrong, I dont want a fugly 200

If you join us at Aintree and John takes you out in his meg, you might change your mind on the pace of the meg....

I know you don't, you have eyes that work!!! Nicola (World Of Parts) wants a GW 200, she's been after one for ages. :smiley:

Hahaha I'll try make it mate!!! Don't get me wrong I didn't think it was slow I think I was just expecting more of a shove, like an old-skool Impreza sort of shove. It's a lot smoother and a lot more civilised than I was expecting, that's probably the best way I can describe it. :thumbsup:

I know you don't, you have eyes that work!!! Nicola (World Of Parts) wants a GW 200, she's been after one for ages. :smiley:

Hahaha I'll try make it mate!!! Don't get me wrong I didn't think it was slow I think I was just expecting more of a shove, like an old-skool Impreza sort of shove. It's a lot smoother and a lot more civilised than I was expecting, that's probably the best way I can describe it. :thumbsup:

I think the main difference is the fact that it is only a small turbo so you dont get a huge kick of boost when it spools up, but does spool up very quickly on the meg

Hey gw 200s are bomb! As are old school Imprezas, that's why I've had so many, uks, jdm, prodrive, wrx, stis the lot.
I think the kick is what he's after

Last edited by a moderator:
Buzz noooo this isn't how this is meant to go haha. I thinks mega are cool too. Just think he'd get a lot out of the Clio.

soz lol love the clio but owning both i would pick the meg all day every day:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about minis being slower slow there very tuneable, chassis isn't a patch on the clio. And he's 22 therefor not a grown up hence he should get the clio :smile: