*help* and its on its way to being broke ....

The car sounds awful. like a lot of high pitch screeching. I checked the oil and its just below maximum on the dip stick. I then checked and although I had only been driving for about 5 minutes at low RPM the fan was on full blast. Its 4C tonight so I doubt it got warm enough to heat up to need the fan?!? was sitting for a maximum of around 15 seconds at the lights the rest of the time was driving.. the loud noise in the background is actually the engine (apart from the wind :blush:)

any one any ideas?

vid here

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOts35ha_EI[/YOUTUBE]

I'd be tempted to say don't start it and get it trailered to a garage asap, someone with more mechanical experience may say different though......

fan also comes on with air con/climate control

is the climate on - might be worth switching it off and seeing if its the air con pump making the noise

Fox where abouts is the aircon pump? I know this has been replaced under warranty before I owned the car but I guess its worth checking again - thanks for the quick reply's guys!

Sounds mashed. Could you isolate the sound to a particular component? Best case scenario, alternator bearings or water pump. Worse case scenario, bottom end is goosed.

foxspeed gets the star! thanks fella. When the climate control is on its fine. When the AC comes on it sounds bloody awful. Is this a sign that the aircon pump needs replaced? Its under warranty (with a 3rd) party until may so i'll get it done if thats the case

I have only just seen this - had an awful noise coming from the aircon and thought it needed replacing, turned out it only needed a re-gas. Ever since then it has been perfect - probably a good starting point!

Thanks Paul i'll get that done first to see how we get on, Although its still blowing out cold air - did you have cold air available still when your's made that noise?

thanks for all the help guys!!

if its low on gas it shouldnt work - there is a pressure/safety sensor on the end of the condensor

best leave the a/c off and let someone have a look - you might be wasting money just having the gas topped up if the pump is on its last legs - just a thought !

Thanks Fox i'll take it to the garage it under warranty with and tell them to do what they need too.. as long as they don't drive it.. :smile:

Thanks Paul i'll get that done first to see how we get on, Although its still blowing out cold air - did you have cold air available still when your's made that noise?

thanks for all the help guys!!

Yeah it still put out cold air just not as effective as normal, dont forget its cold outside so it might not be working - just sucking cold air through.

I would try getting it done under warranty as that wont cost you whereas a re-gas will do. :smile: