hello, new 197 owner near Folkestone

Have been thinking about trading in for a 5 door car due to arrival of a baby but after much looking around and much debate, neither I or the wife can let the clio go. Getting a baby in and out isnt as big an issue as we thought it would be and we've spent so much time on this car getting it in tiptop condition to let it go this soon. Plus the fact it is probably the most fun-to-drive car i've ever driven and is quite a little head-turner (when clean)! As a result i have renewed forum membership and will treat the car to a powder coat alloy wheel refurb.

there is however one outstanding issue thats bugging me and its the glovebox. It has dropped a bit on the right hand side. Is it fixable and if so, how? Tried looking for a how-to but couldnt find anything. Thanks.

Last edited:
so almost 10 years later I am now a 197 owner again!! since letting my first AB 197 with cup chassis pack in mint original condition go (to a renault dealership no less) I have had a Toyota Auris SR180 (shite), MK5 Golf GTI - Stage 1, (not bad), Pug 3007 dirty diesel (complete shite), a VW T-ROC R - stage 1 (amazing) and a Qashqai (hangs head in shame)!! It was this point I had to look myself in the mirror and come to realise that if I wasn't careful my children would grow up with memories of their old man driving them round in a Qashqai - and that would never do, something had to give so I started looking round for another Clio RS - the most engaging and head turning car i've owned, but this time I didnt want a standard example, I wanted something wild, so I looked aroun specifically for supercharged 197/200 or meglio 197/200s. I narrowed the search down to two, a supercharged 197 in London and a meglio 200 in Scotland. I had numerous chats with the Scotland guy and a few videos sent to me but the distance was just too far to travel for a car, so I decided to go and view the other. After a test drive and checking over what I could on the day, I decided to make the purchase and am now the proud owner (again) of an albi blue 197.

As mentioned above this one is far from standard. It is very trackday oriented, which is something I may indulge in if I can get to courage to do such a thing! The spec is:

K-TEC Supercharger Kit
Wossner 182 pistons
PEC forged rods
ACL race bearings
ARP studs/bolts
Longer ratio box - recently rebuilt
Quaife LSD
GAZ gold coil-overs
Poly bushed (lower arms and lower engine mount)
Godspeed 330mm front brake disc conversion
Braided lines
Cross drilled rear discs with PBS pads
Scorpion exhaust system
AEM water/methanol injection system
AEM boost gauge
Recaros in mint condition
Renault sport body kit & cup spoiler
Two sets of wheels, one with Uniroyal Rainsport 5's and one with Yoko AD08R
General body work is ok - some scratches here and there, nothing that can't be sorted if I really wanted to.
Initially mapped by Engine Dynamics but due to some issues with the map, was later mapped again by EFI Liverpool

Needless to say it's a hell of a jump from a standard 197. It's a beast to drive, f**ng loud, and really needs concentration when gunning it - which IMO is exactly what a decent sports car should require. As with all used car purchases, the more time you spend with it after the initial test drive, the more things come to light. Im hoping to get those sorted in the coming months ready for next summer of fast road driving in mexico and some track action if I can find a way in.

Pics to follow, and oh yeah - its good to be back!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Beany and Sean197
Welcome back.

The car sounds great.

You don't need courage to do a track day. Book one and just make sure your car is in tip top condition with a decent amount of meat on your brake pads and some fairly newish brake fluid.

Reactions: clio rs 200