Head Unit and Rs Monitor Questions

I managed to resolder the ELM327 interface I had to get to access the Renault CAN2 multimedia network using DDT4ALL.

Here are some screen shots.

This is the configuration I was trying to enter:

Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 15.17.27.png

Although DDT4ALL reports that the information has been written it did not result in the "Connect dial tool" message disappearing.

I am reasonably sure I was putting in the right configuration information.

I am unsure what the "Don't forget to write acoustic parameters" means. There is a screen for that but it contains long strings of data that I do not understand.

Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 15.27.16.png

Here is a list of the items found in the multimedia network:

Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 15.23.36.png

I am starting to think that I am going to have to find a Renault dealer who REALLY knows their radios to see if they have any solutions?

I did run a DTC check and DDT4ALL produced this report:

ECU trouble codes
DTC #0
DTCStatus.testFailedSinceLastClear : [01] Yes
DTCDeviceAndFailureTypeOBD : 37672 [0x9328]
DTCFailureType.ManufacturerOrSupplier : 3 [0x3]
DTCFailureType.Category : [01] General Electrical Failures
DTCFailureType : [13] circuit open
DTCStatus.testNotCompletedSinceLastClear : [00] No
DTCDeviceIdentifier : [9328] Mic Supply
DTCStatusAvailabilityMask : 57 [0x39]
StatusOfDTC : 41 [0x29]
DTCStatus.testFailed : [01] Yes
DTCStatus.confirmedDTC : [01] Yes
DTC #1
DTCStatus.testFailedSinceLastClear : [01] Yes
DTCDeviceAndFailureTypeOBD : 37697 [0x9341]
DTCFailureType.ManufacturerOrSupplier : 5 [0x5]
DTCFailureType.Category : [05] System Programming Failures
DTCFailureType : [55] not configured
DTCStatus.testNotCompletedSinceLastClear : [00] No
DTCDeviceIdentifier : [9341] Virgin Or incomplete configuration
DTCStatusAvailabilityMask : 41 [0x29]
StatusOfDTC : 41 [0x29]
DTCStatus.testFailed : [01] Yes
DTCStatus.confirmedDTC : [01] Yes

If I have understood the error messages they are telling me that I am missing a mic and that my headhunt is not configured.

As my headunit is a virgin unit that has never been put in to a car before does it need ot have any software loaded on to it, or firmware updated?

The virgin unit I installed would not come to life until I had done the firmware upgrade using clip. I spent hours messing around in configuration, reinstalling it, bought a new display unit etc etc until I eventually but the bullet and just did the firmware upgrade.

I always wondered whether there was some special configuration setting procedure that could only be accomplished via the firmware process. Never understood that as couldn't imagine why a unit would leave a factory like that and adds 45 minutes to the procedure. Its getting quite tempting to give that a go - you will need the "reprog" dvd though, have you got it?

You've probably already seen these, the instructions helpfully(!) provided by Renault. Interesting line in there about configuring the display before configuring the radio for "New Twingo" doesn't say why mind you:

Operations to perform after replacing the radio computer:
– Connect the diagnostic tool, switch on the radio and establish dialogue with the computer.
– For New Twingo: before configuring the radio, it is essential to correctly configure the display (see 86D,
Multimedia connection unit).
– Configure the computer using special command SC002 Computer configuration.
– Enter the VIN code using command VP001 Write VIN (see Programming).
– Enter the computer replacement date using command VP003 Enter After-Sales operation date (see
Programming).
– Check that there are no faults and that the radio functions correctly, then enter the anti-theft code if the radio

requests it (see Anti-theft code).

I haven't got a copy of Reprog - I thought that was a another version of Clip type software. I will "acquire a copy" and report back.

Thank you for your help Ben.

You can get the radiosat classic bluetooth without the C-Box as I scavanged mine from a Clio tomtom and it only had phono plugs, so there should be a config setting to match...

It does sound like you need reprog though. I checked my DVD but sadly I don't have a copy, maybe if you ask @_Ben_ really nicely he'll upload his copy :tonguewink:

Bet your wishing you bought second hand now :laughing:

That DDT4ALL looks pretty nifty! :thumb:

I have tried to reprogram the headunit with the firmware from Reprog but my Clip clone craps out at about 17% of the update process. I have tried it several times but it seems that my hardware is just not good enough to complete the update.

I think that I will have to speak to a Renault dealer tomorrow and see if they can update the radio for me. Unless anyone knows a friendly garage in Essex that will do the update cheaper than a Renault dealer would charge me?

At least I have been able to work out that the firmware does need to be updated!

I have tried to reprogram the headunit with the firmware from Reprog but my Clip clone craps out at about 17% of the update process. I have tried it several times but it seems that my hardware is just not good enough to complete the update.

I think that I will have to speak to a Renault dealer tomorrow and see if they can update the radio for me. Unless anyone knows a friendly garage in Essex that will do the update cheaper than a Renault dealer would charge me?

At least I have been able to work out that the firmware does need to be updated!
Worth asking Engine Dynamics

I have had a phone around some recommended garages in Essex but have been told "go to Renault". I have booked it in with a main dealer for £105 plus VAT for a "software update".

I am now thinking I should not have been hasty or thrifty when looking for a CanClip.

I might still get a Cbox and put in the USB port. I have seen Phase 2 sat nav looms on eBay for about £60. Am I right in thinking that a sat nav wiring loom should have all of the cables I need to wire in the Cbox and USB?

Good luck, hope a trip to dealers sorts it! Don't be surprised if you have to tell them how to do it... :laughing:

Re: USB personally I wouldn't bother, it's a headache getting all the bits together and splicing the looms, once you have bluetooth that's all you really need.

Finally got the radio working today after my planned visit to a Renault dealer. I paid £126 for the firmware update and now it is working properly.