Haydn's RB197 Project

Hi Guys,
After Owning my 197 FF RB for 7 months now I thought it would be a good time to start a project.

I am planning on doing a few major things to it. I have never modified a car as much as I am planning to with the 197 so may need some advice along the way.

I am planning on

1: Doing an engine transplant with the megane turbo engine

2: Putting the 200 Front end onto my car

Both of which are proving difficult for parts!! unless im looking in all the wrong places!!

Thanks in advance

The amount of money you are going to spend to do this would be better saved, sell your own car and buy a 200 that has had the conversion already carried out.

Goodluck mate.

I do really like the front end of a 200, would like to see how you do changing them over.

Why do people write 'just buy one that's already converted' (engine wise I mean). If everyone had that attitude of always taking the easy option, no one would ever get anything done.

Keep at it buddy. Finding an engine may be tricky as they don't often come up. A megane 225 engine will need forging to get over 300 hp safely. However a 250/265 engine have been proven to go over 300 without any internal work done.

Why do people write 'just buy one that's already converted' (engine wise I mean). If everyone had that attitude of always taking the easy option, no one would ever get anything done.

Keep at it buddy. Finding an engine may be tricky as they don't often come up. A megane 225 engine will need forging to get over 300 hp safely. However a 250/265 engine have been proven to go over 300 without any internal work done.

Thanks mate.
Is the 250 engine a straight swap? Or are the mounts slightly different. I have been offered an engine already done running 270hp just need a few ancillaries turbo and boost pipes. Currently making an excel list of what I need and costs. Could do with advice with the ECU and pipe work.

I believe so, but don't quote me on that as I'm rebuilding a forging a 225 lump. The mounts on the 225 engine do vary slightly but you can just use the clio cam cover to get the clio engine mount.

If you become a paid member there is a rough guide to how to do the conversion. You'll need a megane loom and ecu btw.

I tried to keep costs down but I just like buying new shiny parts :lol:

youll also need to decide whether to use a clio or meg gearbox as they use different clutches

Maybe my comment was taken as being negative that was not the intention, believe me i am no stranger to car projects but I still don't know if the end justifies the means its a lot of work and expense for an extra 100 bhp

I believe so, but don't quote me on that as I'm rebuilding a forging a 225 lump. The mounts on the 225 engine do vary slightly but you can just use the clio cam cover to get the clio engine mount.

If you become a paid member there is a rough guide to how to do the conversion. You'll need a megane loom and ecu btw.

I tried to keep costs down but I just like buying new shiny parts :lol:

youll also need to decide whether to use a clio or meg gearbox as they use different clutches

Haha true well I have found an engine with the loom ect.

Just need an ecu turbo and boost pipes.

My car has keyless entry and start so not sure if the ecu will effect that!? Also the mot for the emissions I'm not sure how this would work as the clio engine would have less?? I am keeping my clio gearbox and clutch as I believe this will keep my costs down.

Bit of an update.

This weekend just gone thought id treat myself to some recaros! Just need to get them retrimmed.

Also been quoted on a full kit to retrofit tom tom into my car.
Just waiting for a phone call back then il shall have this ordered and play about this weekend!

Aswell as them two mods i have plans to dye the original roof lining black and to spray the pillars to match.

Bit of an update.

This weekend just gone thought id treat myself to some recaros! Just need to get them retrimmed.

Also been quoted on a full kit to retrofit tom tom into my car.
Just waiting for a phone call back then il shall have this ordered and play about this weekend!

Aswell as them two mods i have plans to dye the original roof lining black and to spray the pillars to match.

they must of been cheap if they need retrimming aswell!

They were ok. Just fancy as change of interior. Was always wanting to Retrim any set I get. Going for a custom look.

ahh right i get ya now :smile: never heard of them.. just looked on their website looks like it wont be cheap haha I have a rough idea what I want them like but also want the back bench doing to match. has many people had theirs done if so what kinda price are you looking at for half leather just for the two front seats?

Last time I had a quote from them it was around 800. Which is the cheapest I've found. A local company wanted 1200 for full leather.

I'll be interested to see what Edge quote you this year if you do give them a bell.

Ill try give them a bell today and let you know. If not there is a local upholster in my town. I know him quite well il get a quote off him too

Similar Thread Suggestions