Have I outgrown my clio? Confused feelings! Haha

I'm getting really really bored of people constantly trying to race me, drive up my backside, try and over take me on 30 limit single carriageways! I'm also sick of things going wrong, I've had my front bumper painted twice, a new steering wheel, lots of window seals, my seat covers keep coming away (nobody sits in the n/s seat hardlys either) my inside window seal is split, I can't change the time on my CD player, and small, niggly things keep going wrong. I'm also tired of this "boy racer" brand, and people saying "you need to grow up and stop driving a clio" ... Obviously people who haven't driven them.

I honestly feel like I could keep the car forever, but on the same note, I sort of agree on the growing up bit, and I'm sick of other drivers approach to me, and also the stuff going round. I'm going to look at a Z4m tonight, but I'm terrified of either keeping the clio and something really bad going wrong, or selling it and regretting it! Is it sad being attached to a car?!

anyone else been like this? Haha

Im 22 and never get people trying to race me (cup spoiler, exhaust - not sure if you can make it anymore in your face for attention without covering the car in stickers and halford DRL's - therefore looking like a tit) so i guess it depends on the other drivers in that area? Would then assume if you again had a sporty car you'd still get the attention from others?

Can also see it in if you change to a BMW, rather than people saying "grow up from a clio" they would instead say "w@nker BMW driver" as most people seem to or say the Z4 is a hairdressers car (just a thought)?

I think go with what makes you happy rather than worry about others, if the clio puts a smile on your face then thats that.

Good point made about something going wrong though as you just cant tell. A friend of mine brought a brand new 1 series (118d M Sport Plus) and has has issued from it leaving the show room...

Perhaps a meg250/265 could be a thought? From going in Kevins' (nutnutwelshman) there is still the fun factor and great chassis, plus a bit more power and the meg just seems that little bit more grown up than the clio.

Saying that, the Z4M is pretty tasty. Good friend of mine works for BMW and hes had a few Z4's recently so have been for a blast in them :smile:

Just my opinion though.

Last edited:
I know what your saying, my list of things to put right is £1500 :worried: and it's all niggly stuff! I have this horrid "gearbox" feeling too haha

Perhaps have a go in a Z4 and see if it puts a smile on your face like the clio?

Not sure where your from but if down Surrey way im sure it wouldn't be too much trouble for my mate to bring one home and let you have a blast in it so you get a propper test drive :smile:

What about selling the clio and getting another newer one? That way you are still in a car that puts a smile on your face but the replacement will hopfully be all ok and not require money to be spent to put it right?

Haha mines a 61 plate! We have a 10 plate z4 in at work, I'm lending it tonight so see what I feel like in in.... No idea why I feel torn in half haha

Get a Megane.

Better refinement than a Clio and just as much fun. And more importantly, more "Grown Up"

IMO the megane is a ace car in every way, to the point where i actually found it boring!
My friend has a 265 in oyster grey....went out in it and felt like i was constantly waiting for a punch of power...it felt like it actually never kicked in, as it is so smooth!

Another shall I or shan't I.I can only answer that question with Your The Only One Who Can Make That Decision.I think once you start thinking along those lines its time to say good buy and move on.Hope I'm wrong and you keep it but the choice is yours

I'm getting really really bored of people constantly trying to race me, drive up my backside, try and over take me on 30 limit single carriageways! I'm also sick of things going wrong, I've had my front bumper painted twice, a new steering wheel, lots of window seals, my seat covers keep coming away (nobody sits in the n/s seat hardlys either) my inside window seal is split, I can't change the time on my CD player, and small, niggly things keep going wrong. I'm also tired of this "boy racer" brand, and people saying "you need to grow up and stop driving a clio" ... Obviously people who haven't driven them.

I honestly feel like I could keep the car forever, but on the same note, I sort of agree on the growing up bit, and I'm sick of other drivers approach to me, and also the stuff going round. I'm going to look at a Z4m tonight, but I'm terrified of either keeping the clio and something really bad going wrong, or selling it and regretting it! Is it sad being attached to a car?!

anyone else been like this? Haha

You sound like you need to take it on the track and fall back in love with it again mate :smile: If you change to something like the Z4M, will you still have muppets up your bumper? Yes you will. It doesn't matter what car you drive really. I've had a$$holes in their "sporty" Audi A3s (with gofaster LED DRLs because they make all the difference!) trying to race me in my 911 (don't even go there with the Boxster!) You just have to take the high ground and smile about it really. They obviously have dull lives :smile:

Things can go badly wrong in any car and I can tell you German parts are more expensive! A warranty helps reduce that worry :smile:

There's plenty of time to get all grown up so enjoy your motor :smile:

Cheers!

I'm 33, I've got the chavved uo Clio (eeer..sorry, R27 I meant) and I have to say that the car makes me smile. yes it's not for motorway, yes it rattles, no, people don't try to race me and yes, it's a keeper! It has to be driven hard for this love relationship to be maintained though.

Just don't see the point of a road going car with much more than the power of the clio. Never going to use it safely. Grass is greener syndrome.

Track and road fine but you'll be bored with the power unless you like getting to speed limits that much quicker.

Clios superb but its at times too focused. On the right day, on the right road, its superb. Just those days aren't often enough to justify its ownership at times. In the real world, its hard to justify because if most of us are honest, we rarely use it to its full potential, and put up with its shortcomings based on perception rather than the reality. The meg conversion makes it more of a all rounder but its an intrusive conversion and a labour of love that most couldn't justify.

There is a world outside of owning a Clio, the problem is on the right day, on the right road there is nothing else that even comes close, and the feeling is that good, you see beyond its short-comings, waiting for the next time that day come around again. A bit poetic but for me the Clio is that good.

Last edited:
Totally agree, on the other hand you never get bored of the handling!!! this is what the Clio is all about IMO!

Well think this sums it up!been thinking of more power and going down the meg route but the Clio just comes into it's own on the twistys if you know how to push it hard,it's been 4weeks and still waiting for KW to sort my suspension out and it's a nightmare it feels like I'm lost without a good blast out!!

Clios superb but its at times too focused. On the right day, on the right road, its superb. Just those days aren't often enough to justify its ownership at times. In the real world, its hard to justify because if most of us are honest, we rarely use it to its full potential, and put up with its shortcomings based on perception rather than the reality. The meg conversion makes it more of a all rounder but its an intrusive conversion and a labour of love that most couldn't justify.

There is a world outside of owning a Clio, the problem is on the right day, on the right road there is nothing else that even comes close, and the feeling is that good, you see beyond its short-comings, waiting for the next time that day come around again. A bit poetic but for me the Clio is that good.

Well said!

i don't get the people try to race me part.... just ignore them......... plus like people say every car has its niggles, my mate had a £60K jag which he ended up delivering back to the dealers as it kept showing warning lights.

I lent the z4 from work last night, and took it round the fun roads I enjoy In the clio, and as much as it was tons nicer to drive, smoother and more comfortable, it handled really well BUT... Although I felt great driving about In a lovely new Z4 it wasn't as fun, nor did it give me that grin, or give me the adrenalin rush of the clio, and when I think back a month, hammering the 200 round the ring was one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life. So, he's staying! And I'm going to sort out what's wrong with it, and then buy some recaros & think about engine upgrades. glad I drove the Z4 last night, because it made me realise how much I actually love my car!