Has your gearbox been replaced? Yes or no?

Have you had the gearbox in your 197 / 200 replaced?

• No - I'm still running the original gearbox

Votes: 420 72.9%
  • Yes - I'm running a replacement gearbox

Votes: 156 27.1%

• Total voters
Had terrible issues shifting into any gear when cold, thought it was a horrific problem with the gearbox. Turns out the clutch fingers were deformed. New clutch under warranty and it's good as gold. In fact, it has never shifted better even when new so I reckon its been faulty since the day it rolled off the production line

Interesting. When driving actively did you ever feel it like it was catching when shifting from a gear into neutral on the way to selecting a higher or lower gear?

59 plate 200
28k miles
Spirited driving but daily so nothing too mad.
New box at 24k September last year, bought January this year and the box is crunching going into 4th and sometimes 2nd. Warranty went out beginning of February.
Went into Renault today to see what they can do, this is when I found out it had a new box last September. Booked in on Tuesday for an inspection to see what's going on. Now I asked that as it had a new box in September the box would have its own 12 month guarantee, unfortunately not the case as it was done in its original warranty. I have a warranty with the garage I bought the car from which runs out in
July but has a £400 excess.

Anyone know if RUK would do anything as the box is only 4k old?

Cheers,

Who told you the box didn't have a 12 month warranty itself? I'd not take the dealers word for it and ring RUK customer services first as I don't think that's true.

Either way a box lasting 4k miles is very clearly not acceptable and hopefully RUK would agree.

He is correct that any part changed under warranty for free does NOT come with a warranty.

He basically said if you had a new box the day before your warranty ran out it would have warranty for a day, like you said though I'm hoping RUK will do something being only 4k old

He basically said if you had a new box the day before your warranty ran out it would have warranty for a day, like you said though I'm hoping RUK will do something being only 4k old

thats why you "contribute" to the repair to get a FULL 12month on the item...

So the car went to the dealer this morning (got a lovely new Scenic Xmod) thye have called up to say they cannot find a fault with the box! they have drained the box oil and cant find anything wrong. even went on a drive and said it was fine. They're going to change the oil and see how it is. charging me £72 for the inspection and £25 for the oil! Better be fixed.

Last edited:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXsRfbOiBhE[/YOUTUBE]

this is quite informative on the gear synchro workings thats similar to the tl4 box

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXsRfbOiBhE[/YOUTUBE]

this is quite informative on the gear synchro workings thats similar to the tl4 box

Very good explanation there, any reason someone couldn't source different types of synchros for the tl4 or would they have to be designed for the specific box?

Very good explanation there, any reason someone couldn't source different types of synchros for the tl4 or would they have to be designed for the specific box?

its a renault built/made box so not sure - its a really compact setup box so the parts i would think would be bespoke

I have 50K and there is a little problem with 4 and 5 gear, is it worth to change oil in the gearbox? My car is from 2008, I don't have warranty...

My latest 200 is a 2012 car on a 61 plate.

Done 9,000 miles and the gearbox is giving me issues already. Crunches when cold, quite badly. Lots of gear train noise off the throttle too. Very irritating.