GW 197 track build

Over the Easter holidays I finally got a chance to tidy up a few bits on the car.

Joel made me a new horn bracket with a neat looking connector so it can be disconnected easily if I remove the wheel.
D9FCA1E7-E19A-4D49-ABAA-D713E3D1B884_zpsuolgcdwb.jpg
41200711-4FD2-4C55-A8B9-5DEA028ABD04_zpslykrzc26.jpg
If anyone's interested in the old bracket made by josh gault pm me, I've removed the connectors from the wire so it's ready to go on a normal wheel again. Pic of said bracket below
7F788D72-8000-4F7B-ACE7-408A2A67A2FF_zpskfc3tgvb.jpg

I also found time to make up some new bumper brackets as the bolts and the loop on my bumper were shagged.

I chose against aerocatches etc because imo they're too big and don't look good in mk3s

1954C882-A271-42C5-A8AA-CD4629C94904_zpstev9yynj.jpg
D44DA2A6-D43B-4C87-B76F-85458465AD86_zpsfpy0iycx.jpg

They give me a lot more clearance in the arches for when I get around to doing cup ee brackets and also can be bent back into position if I run out of talent.

Had a few people asking about this so I'm considering getting these brackets made up properly annodised etc if I get enough interest

And finally as always, a bit of whoring
D83886B9-2C35-40FD-9F7F-69A3DAC7D66B_zpsdnjyheal.jpg

Big progress update from the last...

Wiring loom stripped back, lots of unnecessary wiring can be removed. Think I pulled over 20kg out with wiring, stereo and foam carped stuff behind the dash.xMJMaW3.jpg
New door cards without speaker holes made. Need door handle spacers still.
D1IOI49.jpg
Currently looks like this inside. Rear airbag module loom removed and coded out, module is now tucked up behind the dash.
NsEeeZu.jpg

Decided to give the front end a refresh, upper/lower swivels, tie rods and track rod ends all done in the last year ish but the the wishbone ball joints were knackered as were the bushes and wheel bearings, took this opportunity to split the hubs and clean them all up.
E42KsWh.jpg
3f8oh2D.jpg
eqO8lFH.jpg Sk4EjWO.jpg
3HHOnFN.jpg
Wishbones cleaned up too then powerflex black bushes and new ball joints fitted.
2naVmeX.jpg
ez8NmjL.jpg
Hubs drilled out to accept cup racer bump steer/roll centre kit.
Kp0kbRV.jpg
nYYbszh.jpg
Old wheel bearing out, New wheel bearing on
9ryXDUy.jpg
Zbd15Hv.jpg
All back together now
0qu7r7z.jpg
hoping I can sort alignment out and take it for a proper drive next week but everything feels much more solid/responsive now.

Full weld in cage by gosling racing and independ designs, very pleased with the build and pricing. Tucked up nice and tight, tied into the shell at around 12 points.

Could really feel the chassis flexing before but nice and stiff now so big improvement.

Next up full interior repray, either nardo grey or white, haven’t decided yet.

hv2qsJx.jpg
Olx8q1s.jpg
X0JSGRr.jpg

Bet you will when you accidentally touch it with something touching the chassis too lol

How much did the cage cost fitted?
haha hopefully not, its always isolated at the killswitch when working on it so should be fine, also fused at the battery now so if something does short hopefully the fuse will go.

hard to say because I had a few things done at once (5/6 point eyelets welded in, footplate made, etc) but I think his full cages are around £1300 fitted depending what you're having, the curved gussets are an extra £100 per pair :grimacing:. but all in it's very fairly priced.

When done right, like yours ....in my eyes it’s not ‘just’ a track car anymore . It’s also a really desirable car / object to look at . I’d love to go all out on mine ...a minty mint track build .
I agree mate, Ive always seen race cars that look so good they almost look like show cars and wanted one. Everything here is function before form though and hopefully one day I’d like to race it so trying to build it right and make it look clean at the same time.