Gurgling sound behind centre console upon cold start

Hi Guys,

I never thought I would wright a post about this but here goes.

I have a albi 197 with 55k a tad over on the clock and I do a max of 6-7k a year.

Over the past 2 months when I start the car when the engine is cold, I hear a gurgling sound , which sounds like it's coming from behind the centre console and then when I blip the throttle it gargles again. When I drive the car and the engine temp is warm I don't hear it, nor when I go to start the car up when the engine is warm.

My car runs smoothly, starts fine, and the engine temp is stable and normal. :smile:

I have googled this and on previous clio forums (going by previous owners who have got a mk2 clio and 1 197 owner) they said they got told it could either be a air lock in the heater matrix, or the sills in the engine bay are damaged or worst situation the head gasket could be going (that bit suprised me the most based on the milieage of my car and it's well looked after history from previous owners.

Before I book it into my local garage for someone to look at it has anyone had this problem before with their 197?

Look forward to reading your messages.

Cheers guys,

Chris :smile:

Last edited:
I've had this several times on a couple of other cars (both 106's), each time air in the heater matrix as you put above, just required a bleed in the correct order to sort.

I can't advise specificly on the Clio though, i.e. where the bleed valves are, suggest picking up a Haynes and it wont (shouldnt!) be difficult to do yourself.