Guess what............ gearbox!

The other morning i couldnt get it into 1st at all & crunching going into 3rd...

Bad times.

1st gear has freed up after a could of days, although its a sod when cold, the crunch going into 3rd is still there.

sooo, took the car to the dealership, they initially couldn't find a problem but have called the car in to strip the box down so the warranty company can authorize a swap out.

Fingers cross.

I can see them wanting ££££££££££ from you.Wear n Tear they will say:swear:

Hrrrrm

The cars going in on Monday... However, the gearbox feels fine now, first gear is fine, crunching into 3rd is almost gone.

What have I done to cause the gearbox to magically fix itself?

Sod all, took the car for an 'Italian mot' late one night.

So the next question is, what could of caused the problem that is now no longer causing the problem?

Hmmm, I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet but it sounds more positive than before.

My occasionally crunches going into third, I'd say it does it about once or twice a week. In a week I do about 175 miles.

I reckon mine is probably on its way out; I have done 67k on what I assume to be the original box. I seem to recall it occasionally grinding even when I first got it though and I've done 16k since then.

Who knows? :s

Well the cars in, they are in the process of stripping down the box.

The problem I now have is when I bought the car the garage was own by Co-op, now its a Arnold Clark... Hopefully I wont end up having problems getting the work done under warrenty

Has it gone to the one in Blackpool? Previously Sunwin Renault?

I took mine there about 6 months ago with a small oil leak on top of the engine. They denied there was a leak even though they had fixed it...? I had a courtesy car for the day and didn't pay a penny so I was relatively happy :smile:

Has it gone to the one in Blackpool? Previously Sunwin Renault?

I took mine there about 6 months ago with a small oil leak on top of the engine. They denied there was a leak even though they had fixed it...? I had a courtesy car for the day and didn't pay a penny so I was relatively happy :smile:

Yup,

always had a good experience from them, bought a total of five cars from them. Used to know the service manager and he was a top bloke.

Got the car back.

They have changed "the gear box cable" (?) and put in a different grade of oil in the box (waiting to find out what).

Its definitely feels better, 1st is loads better, all gears much better when cold, but still grinding a little going into 3rd.

they are ringing me with the next plan of action tomorrow.

It will probably be the gear selector cable that they changed.

Did it all of a sudden start grinding or was it a gradual process?

It will probably be the gear selector cable that they changed.

Did it all of a sudden start grinding or was it a gradual process?

It was quite notchy, when I first got it and has progressively got worse. The sudden thing was not being able to engage 1st.

Last edited:
Be thankful you're still in warrenty mate :wink:

Yeah your lucky your within your warrenty.

I have the exact same problem in regards to not being able to select 1st gear when the box is cold or even sometimes warm (most of time when cold) and as for 3rd gear well even though I replaced the G-Box oil to Redline to protect sychromesh and to improve selection when on cold starts i'm still getting 3rd sychromesh crunches. Like everyone saids on here it's just the boxes on these cars. Great cars, superb handling, but the Gearbox's let them down big time. :worried:

Well car went back in on Sunday. Box is stripped down for a assessor from the warranty group to have a look. The service manager has driven the car and agrees there is a problem with 1st and 3rd however there is no sign of something up looking inside the box.