Gone but not forgotten and my new project LY200

Hi, I bought a Black 197 last year after being made redundant, it was basic car with air con. Spent time and money doing a few things to it, more cosmetic than engine ... I put in a 200 interior, LED’s throughout including the number plate, 200 wing mirrors painted yellow, 200 diffuser with carbon exhaust trims, carbon wrapped dash, H&R springs, ITG filter, I had my wheels done in a matt Anthracite, arch vents sprayed silver and door handles coloured. I was really happy and loved the car.

Then on a spur of the moment thing I decide to go and sell it and end up with this LY 200. Went to Essex to get this at the weekend, got back OK. The story behind this car is that it has been in an accident but has a VIC pass - I know this move may raise a few eyebrows and you may think is he mad! But I bought it as it’s got so much potential, the colour is great, the engine works fine it just needs a little TLC and a paint job to get it back to how it should look.

It’s a full fat LY 200, it had Recaro’s in but I swopped them with the lad who bought my car and I’ve got my old and very comfy standard 200 seats back. I’ve a little work to do on her. So far I’ve ...

- fixed the cruise control
- having the crappy tint taken off the windows on Saturday
- having the wheels refurbed Wednesday + putting on continental tyres

Other jobs that need doing are
- drivers door handle and wiring
- climate control needs a re-gas or poss a new condenser,
- drivers side needs a respray
- front splitter
- rear window

Have already bought most/all the bits I will probably need from Cit-Ren and Renault Parts Direct and been to see my mates at the spray shop where I live. All in all to repair and get her back to former glory I think it’s gonna cost about £1,300. Fingers crossed!

In the re-spray I’m planing to have the door handles done gloss black and also the wheel arch vents sprayed gloss black. Might put black vinyl on the roof to see what that looks like. I might lower the car on H&R’s like I did my other one but we’ll see.

Attached are a few pics ... old car and new car

Attachments

• DSC_0102.jpg
    DSC_0102.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC_0060.jpg
    DSC_0060.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_0107.jpg
    DSC_0107.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC_0205.jpg
    DSC_0205.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC_0206.jpg
    DSC_0206.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
I'm amazed you can fix all those things and spray the whole side for that amount of money. LY is SO expensive to respray (just got quoted £740 by Renault to spray a cup spoiler). Nice job :smiley: what's a vic pass? Also, can't see the pics :/

Attached thumbnails to my post ... hopefully you can see them now, couldn't figure out how to do it the other way. Bought ALL the parts & tyres second hand from Cit-Ren in Norfolk. Wheel refurb is £175 and respray in LY is £600 (mates rates).

And yea a VIC pass ... it's when the car has been written off by the insurance. If the car is to be put back on the road it has to go through a test, it then gets a VIC pass from VOSA to prove that it's road worthy and mechanically sound. This car had just really bad panel damage ... I think!!

My friends at the garage were worried about folk running off with them so they bonded them in ... looks like I'm gonna have to buy some more off you!

My friends at the garage were worried about folk running off with them so they bonded them in ... looks like I'm gonna have to buy some more off you!

I'm quite happy to take another order from you mate. I have a few in stock so be quick.. :wink:

And yea a VIC pass ... it's when the car has been written off by the insurance. If the car is to be put back on the road it has to go through a test, it then gets a VIC pass from VOSA to prove that it's road worthy and mechanically sound. This car had just really bad panel damage ... I think!!

Thats not quite right, it's VOSA who do a VIC test (vehicle identity check) when a car has been a category C write off (but not cat D).

It's no proof of road worthyness or mechanically sound check, you can take one for this test before it's been repaired if it's nothing major, they only check to see if it's the car it's supposed to be, ie identity numbers etc.

They do not do any other checks.

To do one correctly it's best to get it MOT'd then it can legally be driven on the road to the test, when it passes this test and only then, DVLA will send out the V5 (log book) thats £25 of the, IIRC £38 cost.

It's been through all that as when I bought it I checked the log book and it has been recorded, says it down at the bottom of the V5 at the front.

Another Bee, i don't think you can get splitters for the 200 though.

Good luck with the respray i hope it looks ok after, having had issues with both the clio and the meg i know just how much of a pain it can be.

Whats wrong with the drivers side anyway?

Thanks .... the splitter was the term used by Renault. It's the rubber strip at the bottom of the bumper that's come apart in the middle. Bought it yesterday ... £30 and I checked to see if it was the right one as I thought it was cheap! The drivers side ... the re-spray is not good, very patchy and you can see the white undercoat coming through in areas plus they never bothered to peel off the vinyl strip by the window before spraying and the side mouldings have been fastened on with some kind of adhesive instead of clips.

all the 200 splitters are spit in the middle iirc?

How can you still see the bloody white undercoat! is a 3 stage paint!! must have been a right bodge job.
it should be 2 base coats and a top lacquer coat.

all the 200 splitters are spit in the middle iirc?

How can you still see the bloody white undercoat! is a 3 stage paint!! must have been a right bodge job.
it should be 2 base coats and a top lacquer coat.

I know, I was thinking the same thing. If they've took no care in the paint I don't even want to know what effort went into the repair.

Sounds like a quick fix and sell to me.

All I can say is that I hope you gave no more than about £4-5k for this. A cat C car will only be worth about 2/3 maybe 3/4 of an undamaged car and thats when it's been repaired WELL.

Good luck, and I hope it turns out well for you. It was a very brave move not knowing the full history behind the crash/repair.

Fellas, fellas, fellas ... just told the guy at Renault what I needed, he said it was a splitter and it was £28.45, if it's the wrong part I'll return it and get the right one! As for the paint ... they didn't do it properly but I've probably made it sound alot worse than it actually is. At 1st glance it's fine, only when you get up close or catch it in a certain light can you see the problem areas, they're not as yellow. And mechanically the car is fine. Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Thanks Chrisgti6, it was a brave some may say stupid move but I like a challenge and I enjoy solving problems and sorting things out. I'm not gonna sell it ... it's a keeper, that was one of the reasons I bought it

Thanks Chrisgti6, it was a brave some may say stupid move but I like a challenge and I enjoy solving problems and sorting things out. I'm not gonna sell it ... it's a keeper, that was one of the reasons I bought it

As long as you are planning to keep it, then I wouldn't worry about it anyway. Get the bits done slowly and over time you'll have a minter!

One word of warning though, LY is a pain to match, i've seen a few that have been painted and it sticks out like a sore thumb