Ginetta G20 GTR Project!

As afew of you know along side my 200 cup road car I also have a 172 track day car to bomb around the track in. But it's now time to up the game alittle as I've been offered an opportunity that I couldn't turn down. My girlfriends brother Ashley bought two ginetta g20 race cars one had been raced in a cup a few years ago and one brand new shell as a spare with two body and enough spares to build the second car and he offered me one for a great price so where building both cars together

As with any project Ashley and I have decided that even tho the ginetta is a great car we can make afew changes to make it different to all the others out there, firstly the engine they normally have a ford zetec engine mainly the 1.4 this is what came with the cars but we though maybe abit more power so we had many ideas but have settled to the idea of changing the engine completely not to the 1.8 zetec but to a z20let vxr 2.0L turbo but keep the type 9 gear box and change the bell housing.We will also be running a quaife diff, With the change of engine a new loom etc will be required but from previous projects we have a great contact that can do a custom ecu and loom which is by canems which is a great company. This will let us have a few extra features like shift lights, anti lag etc and will make mapping a lot easier.

These cars will be made to a high standard as we will be keeping one and selling the others so things like brake lines will be braided, the dash will be a digital display but we still haven't decided on the exact one yet as we may also run stand alone gauges for boost etc as its a track car it won't have a beautiful interior but will have full 6 point harness with cobra seats which we picked up at the weekend along with a click on and off boss and steering wheel which we still need to decide on mostly likely to be a 10" wheel

To save weigh all the window will be polycarbonate and the hole body will be fibre glass.a have two seats of alloys one set of slicks for dry weather then a set for the wet. With the ginetta we will be running full adjustable suspension and a pretty decent brake set up so we can actually stop the thing but hopefully it will only end up weighing 600kg.We will also be running an aero package for the best performance

As for the exterior a colour hasn't been decided but we have though about racing blue red or even orange but they will be stickered up to promotethe ecu lads Ashley's buisness pushrod performance along with others

Now for the only decent but the PICTURES ! In order of progress starting with the strip down the new she'll is the one on the trolly and the last the finished product

The Old package
th_e39a5f37ebbd871334bc4f4c07c46ac6_zps82593ae3.jpgth_2a43e3e21fc6152776f0e8afa6cef429_zps6181688b.jpgth_bcba5ff43eb6f996ffff2dc1413d8c6b_zps8b63242d.jpgth_f6fb95a3f5e1115310633a59b33acbca_zps0865a80a.jpgth_1acfce80b331096881ad460f52094a80_zps90265b4d.jpgth_f964948bd6f7275f3864a144856911b7_zps533d6ce0.jpgth_85615a3a2b632a603ef837f2b899d522_zps7ac14a3d.jpgth_498e1d2cca7720ccaf095b555db28f56_zps091b369d.jpgth_e0df58905fa0074a2106bb6c31b5a5f4_zps9bd2e9fb.jpgth_35236d9794307919c6eec6c2484e25e3_zpsb55b79bd.jpgth_8475e55f60d59bd1c8ef3b0553b002ea_zpse4958cbd.jpg

NOW WE ARE TALKING!

Love a project like this, especially with an engine swap and some fancy parts :drool:

whats your plan on the engine side of things? Will he engine be staying standard? i think regardless of which way you go with the engine, I'd be going for the Z20LEH instead for the very little difference in cost. The Z20LET is an older engine now and isn't as advanced. You've got the extra balancers in the bottom end, smaller injectors and AFM. Buy the Vxr lump/running gear and your looking at easy access to 300Hp, that in a 600kg car would be just bonkers.

Keep us updated please, I'm really looking forward to seeing this progress.

I'm glad someone is on board as I'm like a child right now so many plans and things to do the engines won't be staying Standard we are buying engines that need a bit of work but were going to pull them apart and do a rebuilt and upgrade afew bits just to make her nice and strong but we will run two maps that's the beauty of the new ecu system where having it expensive but by literally flicking a switch we can run a 250+Map but for wet weather we can run a low boost map so I don't do any damage

with the engine swap tho it's all unknown really even the engine mounts we will have to fabricated by ourself with a little outside help but this is a build we will do start to finish with little help as possible but we hope to have them done by April for a weekend track day but il keep it updated as much as possible

Sounds awesome :smile: keep us updated. I like watching the Ginetta racing in the BTCC

No really update but trying to source parts like the bell housing and trying to figure out what clutch set up we will be usings but on the plus side the old bell housing has been taken off the gear box and finished off removing the bits from the White ginetta imagejpg1_zpsa9d6120f.jpg

Nothing major but we now have a set of harness's 3" sabelt ones approved until 2018 6 point in black with yellow badges plus we know have a 2 post lift which should come in handy
356dbb4dc0a14dea9814fb2f97ba2003_zpsd61da4c1.jpg
95823877068066e47b2a64fb1a9ba2f5_zpse77956d0.jpg
5a1f44f9611464bff1c7fb8eaf324fad_zpsae023835.jpg

We've actually done something useful took most of Saturday but hey the pedal box is now in with the brake basis now also in so we can adjust the front and rear braking. This went in three or four times but that's how it is just small adjustment but it has to be right
d734bd69278e5abbc33c3334b8bd2b63_zps3a097812.jpg
064188c1d2ec34449c658b592d38a818_zps712d0084.jpg
574db875285d6e7d306051dea2f66045_zps683f0f2b.jpg
5d8b6113533facb624b2d42155df305f_zps8a2240f3.jpg

Time for an update I think we've been busy any way .....
firstly the fuel cell is all mounted and fixed into place we have made a new aluminium cover for the top as the old one was covered in rivet holes and all bend out of shape looks great now it's all shiney and not scratched. Next up with the tank in was to run the fuel line down the car to the front ready for the engine when it goes in. As with most of the bits on this we had to make a mounting plate for the fuel pump so we decided to make a feature from the back of the car as most of the other g20 have a cover which hides all the diff,fuel cell, brake lines and fuel lines which is a shames really as its going to all be neat so the fuel pump is mount where the top of the suspension is and then the pipes run parellell with each other. That gets the fuel pipes ready as much as they can be at this stage.

next up was the brakes again the standard car just runs copper lines but we wanted them to have better performance and look a lot neater so we opted for -3 braided brake lines with a black coating and Black 'p' clips for a smart and tidy look it's cost more but it's worth it really. We also are running two brake resivours one front and one rear just Incase were unlucky enough to loose brake pressure while out on track we would still either have front or rear brakes also makes the piping from the master to the bottles neater.we also have the brake bias where we can change the ratio front to back etc we have Hel brake fixtures for the calipers ard splitters so there great quality and should be more that good enough.the Calipers fixtures have a 20 degree bend just to angle the brake lines up and away from the wheel and looks a lot neater as it comes up into the arch and round the back of the suspension.

The steering rack is also now in and working and the coloum is also mounted with an adjustable mount so we have the option to make fine adjustments when the dash and seats are fitted.we had abit of trouble finding the correct bearing for the coloum but we got there in the end and we also how the new quick realse steering wheel Bose fitted just need to buy a new wheel which we have found two both suede ones sparco 330mm and the other is an OMP 330mm but unsure which to get ATM.

Next is the engine mounts which again are custom as this isn't the engine that should be being fitted but with abit of work and some templates we have new mounts made from steel welded onsite and strengthen we made two sets one for each car once they have been poweder coated will look great they were abit tricky but again with time they came together

We also have decided on the exaust customs which will be made by Ashley at the unit we have gone for 3" pipe with a long silencer mounted within the fibreglass shell and because it's a race car it's having a side exit exhaust which I am way too excited about I don't know why but love a side exit exhaust it's going to be tight as with 3"" even with custom bend it's a small area to work with and its forced us to relocate the battery as is runs right where the battery should be fitted by that's not an issue

Also we have a second engine which we picked up last weekend and with the second engine we now have the second bell housing has arrived so the second gear box can get mount to the engine once it's been stripped rebuild with some goodies we also have an intercooler which was a steal for £25 pounds of a 2wd cosworth which will be able to handle the power we are running as the intercooler with plastic ends would just end up breaking. Also we have two cooling fans delivered one for each car here only small but will do the job fine as the radiator and intercooler are mount directly behind the mouth on the car hopefully we can fit the oil cooler in there aswell but it may be too tight

we we have test fitted the first setup of engine and gear box and mounted into the car and it's tight but fix so it's all good we may need to alter the bonnet to allow for extra cooling but unsure at this point.

I think that's it pictures to follow hope you enjoy the update!!!! [MENTION=4323]Gez[/MENTION] hope this keeping you interested :wink:

Similar Thread Suggestions