Gearbox oil change??

I've just picked up a 197, and looking through the service book there's no mention of the gearbox oil ever needing changed? It doesn't appear at all, could someone tell me when it should be changed?

It isn't actually mentioned in the service book that it ever needs replaced.

I'd personally recommend putting in some good stuff if your looking to keep the box running in tip top condition as they are known to be weak.

Maybe every 2 years or something like that? It aint a difficult job.

If you want to change the gearbox oil - Castrol 75W90 TAF-X is the way to go. It made a big difference to me. Especially when the car is cold.

Thanks for the replies, all food for thought, cant believe its not mentioned in the service book! How easy is it to change? Access wise?

Bought the clio last week, and haven't even had a chance to have a proper look over it yet. Also, I appear to have a knock at low speed, coming from the front end somewhere, when putting the clutch in or snapping the throttle off, any ideas?

Last edited:
Mmmmmmm, Maybe the oil change is not mentioned in the service book cos Renault know that the oil lasts longer than the gearbox...

Reactions: TheUnit
Anyone care to advise on how to change the gearbox oil? Had a quick look underneath the car last weekend but struggling to find drain and fill points.

Thanks

HI.Local garage wanting £50 labour to change gear oil
im going for the redline mtl from demon tweeks
as i dont have manual for car any advice as to as to the drain and fill points
re/post above boyo 1206 struggling to find them??
dont want hassle of getting it up on ramps only to find that i cant find them also
i dont have access to a pit.
any advise please....thanks

Someone posted this on cliosport.net, hope it helps:

"there is an 8-10mm square plug on the underside of the box you won't miss it. Undo it and catch the old oil, on the front of the box is a wing nut undo that and put a 2ft piece of hose in the hole then put a funnel on the other end and refill."