Gearbox issues

Been reading a lot about gearbox issues, does anyone know why the whole box is changed if there are synchro issues? Why not change just the synchros??

Putting the diff in my box soon, so I'm going to get them changed whilst the box is out.

Welcome anyone's input/ advice?

Not many dealerships (if any) will have the tools and knowledge to rebuild the 'box. Once they factor in the cost of having the box repaired, and the extra time it will take (courtesy cars etc) it's probably far cheaper to stick a new box in. The boxes probably stand Renault at a very small cost with the quantity they had built.

Ren spares are knocking new boxes out at £350 so unless Renault sold them at a loss they cost Renault less than £350 each. I suppose it is possible they sold them at a loss, but unlikely.

Main reason is most dealers won't have the gear to change the parts so will have to sent it to an external gearbox company.

Also as fox says they want to check them to be sure to pay the warranty for fixing it.

A dealer simply ascertains the issue and perhaps takes an oil sample should Renault ask for one.

Cheers guys! Good to know they can be got for £350, may send the synchros back and just start with a new box . . .

Nice thread foxspeed! Should come in handy! I hope the box will live with the planned 330bhp+

i would say maybe not!

the taper bearings on the layshaft will probably be a weak point...

a top quality gear oil is a must and from looking at the box i would say having it slighlty over filled could be a good idea :blink:

Soon find put, feel a lot better knowing they are only £350 new, may look at updated bearings too! I hear cryo treatment is the way to go

Any idea what metals you are trying to work? And are you after strength or hardness?

Oscar you are a brave man! Coupling the original gearbox (and 'diffing' it) with an upgraded megane 250 engine? It won't last mate I'm afraid. I believe shakey or FMP in here tried this at first but didn't work out, and they weren't even running your torque/power figures...

I'm just taking advice from the company that do the cryo, they do a lot of work in Motorsport, in particular drag racing transmitions

They have said it is possible to tweak almost all metals, and it increases their strength by 500% in some cases! Wowzers!!!

And it's not that costly either! No brainer I think!

Time will tell I suppose! Worse case I stick a r26 box in, as is the case in these thing, you have got to experiment a little!

They spout some dog doo about what they are working with to do the cryo, and i certainly wouldnt want to cryo some of the milder steels as you will get embrittlement, you really need to be careful with which bits you get treated especially out of a cheeseboard renault box

Good advice mike but these are the experts in what they do and I do not believe they would have a viable business if what they do didn't work - they wouldn't get the repeat business.

Like I've said it's an experiment, if it doesn't work then I have other options. Gear sets can be made, bearings can be uprated - anything can be made stronger! or as I've said previously r26r box.

Quite a lot of what I'm doing is experimental, bound to come across issues but I'm confident it getting through them. This won't be the first time I have tried something different lol

Yes, standard for most companies! Ever read the disclaimer that comes with a new set of 888's??? Reading that would make you think twice about fitting them!!!

I may be totally wrong about the gearbox mike, but the advantages of running a 200 box are too tempting not to try. From what I've read the synchros are the weak point, so if I can strengthen them - problem solved??