Garage took my R32 home...

Dropped the r32 in for work on sat get my v3's fitted etc at a tuner thats new to me with a good rep on the VAG scene. Left my dogs medicine in the car so phoned up today to see if they could grab it and put to one side so the mrs could collect later today only to be told the boss had taken it home saturday as there wasnt enough space.

Now i was more concerned about my dog at the time but now im thinking what the ****? i was not told my car would taken home i dont know how far the guy lives from the garage or know him on any level. I have no idea if his work insurance would cover my car on his drive? How much fuel he will use or how he will drive my car.

I recenty moved so am finding a new local tuner had this been my old tuners i would have had no issue s they would have warned me and i know them but this is a new garage to me who have not earnt my trust or respect yet.

How would you feel if this was your car?

*******s, they have no right to take your car.

Collect it and take it somewhere else, that's not the service you should get from a professional tuning company

Depends who the tuner was, if they have a good rep i wouldnt be that fussed. But still tell them they should of warned you out of pure courtesy!!!

Wouldn't bother me at all. At least they had the honesty to say where it was, most dodgy garages (including main dealers) would just use it and lie when questioned. Better the boss takes it home than it ends up parked on the street.

If he has a good rep, just chill out. If the works done to a good level, I'd just be happy I'd found a decent place.

Wouldnt happen in Australia, if they cant fit the car in the garage for lockup then they shouldnt take it in! I would make heads spin if I were you

Wouldnt happen in Australia, if they cant fit the car in the garage for lockup then they shouldnt take it in! I would make heads spin if I were you

i'd also be taking this view if it was mine. i hate how a lot of people i know drive, riding the clutch etc, so there's no way i'd let him take it for a drive.

my dad specified that he didn't need his s2k test driven after an oil and filter change and my mate who works at a ford garage saw it being raped around the industrial estate.

it'd be nice to think he's trustworthy, but there's more chance that he gave it death to hear that lovely v6....

Wouldn't bother me at all. At least they had the honesty to say where it was, most dodgy garages (including main dealers) would just use it and lie when questioned. Better the boss takes it home than it ends up parked on the street.

If he has a good rep, just chill out. If the works done to a good level, I'd just be happy I'd found a decent place.

This is very true. However if i had driven past his house over the weekend i would have reported it stolen on the spot. The mk4 R32 is one of the most stolen cars due to security faults and extreme demand for its parts this may also be the reason he wanted it on his drive and not locked in the compound. I just wish i had been told when i dropped it off.

TBH I would be reporting it stolen anyways. It has been taken without consent from you, the owner. I would be absolutely fuming and wouldn't be giving them any money TBH. I am a bit of a sod when it comes to things like this, just because the majority of wrench monkeys dont give a dam about other peoples cars.

In your care if could have driven it perfectly well, but thats not the point. As I say I would report it, least that way you are covered if there is any damage/premature wear and tear!

This is very true. However if i had driven past his house over the weekend i would have reported it stolen on the spot. The mk4 R32 is one of the most stolen cars due to security faults and extreme demand for its parts this may also be the reason he wanted it on his drive and not locked in the compound. I just wish i had been told when i dropped it off.

surely it'd be safer in a locked compound, potentially covered by cctv, than on someones drive. the fact that you weren't asked if it was okay is what would make me think it was a sly move

Happens pretty much everywhere. Ask about the mileage at most places and you'll be told it was test driving.

As above, its always happened and always will, once the car is booked in with them its covered on there insurance for any employee to drive.
Some dealers use them to go to the chippy at dinner time.

As an ex ford employee i know only to well how it works, if its a performance car then its a fight to who gets the keys!

Several years ago i took my Renault 5 GTT for a new clutch cable (under warrenty) to the main Renault dealer, when i picked the car up later on in the day they had done 80+ miles in it and minus 1/4 a tank of fuel.

Now i will never leave my car anywhere again, i always book time off work and sit at the dealers waiting for my car.

And if he's a VW tuner, I doubt he took it for giggles, sure he has access to those type of cars on a regular basis. I'd rather the boss of the company (ie the guy with the most to lose if something went wrong) took the car out, rather than some spotty vw tech.

I can understand not being happy about not being told though, I'd probably ask to have a chat with the guy when you go to pick it up. I wouldn't be arsey about it, just make it clear you're not happy and ask for an explanation.

Better to not burn bridges if you've found a guy you can trust in future, rather than having to look for someone else to work on your pride and joy.

I would not be happy, Doesn't matter who it is or who is driving.

You drop a car off to a garage to get work done in confidence that the car doesn't get used/abused.

I remember dropping off my Clio to get its second service to a reputable garage and i saw them out driving it and i phoned up raging as i said i didn't want it test driven at all.. They assured me it was something they had to do which is fine with me as i saw it being driven sensibly at the time (even though there were two mechanics in the car).

But another positive is that there were only four older mechanics (2 being the owners) and the rest young people that want a shot. :smile:

But I still don't think your car should be driven when in for work.

If your car had gone in for the work then why wasnt the work getting done?

If some1 could drive it home then why couldnt you of kept the car for longer and dropped it off when needed !!

In my books someone would certainly have some explaining to do.

TBH I would be reporting it stolen anyways. It has been taken without consent from you, the owner. I would be absolutely fuming and wouldn't be giving them any money TBH. I am a bit of a sod when it comes to things like this, just because the majority of wrench monkeys dont give a dam about other peoples cars.

In your care if could have driven it perfectly well, but thats not the point. As I say I would report it, least that way you are covered if there is any damage/premature wear and tear!

im with you on this one Paul,

could have been ragged from cold or anything. :whatever:

i wouldnt be happy to say the least.

Common sense would suggest the work had been part done, no? Ie front's fitted but not rear's, or all fitted but not setup. Or completed and in need of testing.

The more I think about it, the less it would bother me, assuming the mileage covered isn't unreasonable for a test drive. The boss has effectively test driven the car, which leaves the storage location as the only difference. And I'd wager his house is a safer location.