197: GAP insurance?

Hi everyone, i have been today and test drove a clio 197 and i have fallen in love with it, i am so close to the finalising the sale and securing the car as mine with a deposit but they are selling me GAP INSURANCE :/

Now is it worth having with a clio? any one shed light on it

Thanks

Carl

I had it when I bought my Clio brand new, means of I right the car off they will pay of the rest of the finance so was a no brainer for me

Thanks for this inwardnoise ... i felt the same about it, so worth having just knowing your safe and covered :smile: also the clio has a full scorpion exhaust system :tongueout:

Yeah like Inward said, it's worth the extra couple of quid per month. I think mine is about £6.

Bascially if your car gets written off and the insurers only value it at £5k, but you owe £7.5k the you'll be left to find the £2.5k to pay off the finance arrangement. But if you have GAP then it doesn't matter, the GAP pays for any shortfall between the insurers valuation and the finance settlement so that you're not out of pocket as well as car-less should the worst happen.

I would never not get it. I had a fiesta st before my 200 and somebody crashed into the back of me and was a right off, luckily had gap insurance as it was a 58 plate and I actually got £200 more back than what I actually paid for the car. So I would advise anyone getting gap insurance if they are offered it!

I had a bit of a bad experience with gap protection.

I was offered it when i bought my car in january, it was by a company called 'Retail Value Protector' , i payed £8.076 for my car and they put the value at £11.450. offered me three months free to try it then £56 or £58 a year for three years cover.

I tried to get the cover but it wanted my card details even though it was free, kept trying to take the £50 odd out so i gave up.

Then they called me on the phone to see if they could help, went through the process, took all my details then explained that the card details were for if i took the cover after the three months so i gave them the details then she asked me for the 3rd, 4th and 6th letters of my bankcard password.

She was just inputting the details through their own website.

I told em to **** off, never heard from them since :whatever:

You can get GAP about £300 cheaper on the internet. The dealers sell it at about £4-500.

My my VW caught fire with 1000 miles on the clock, after 27 days - without GAP they tried their hardest to not pay out in full...

Go GAP! :smile:

Most Gap policies are now meant to pay back to the amount you paid for the car not just the amount outstanding on finance, we haven't sold the finance Gap product for years now and they were the same price anyway. Tell them you can get it with your car insurance and say its £150 off them, they will still sell it you for that price and be making a few bob as well.

think there are two types. one that covers short fall for finance/difference and other type is if its written off, you get the price you paid from day one regardless if its a year down the line and put 10k miles on.. well that is what mine says and its an AXA policy.

Its limited though to a maximum of 5.5k after what ever your insurance pays out.

worth the money

On my cars GAP pays the difference between the GLASS value back to the invoice value.

I paid £150 on the 200 with a list price of 21K and £199 on the Trophy with a list price of 27K

All via the renault dealer

I paid £250 on mine one off payment when I bought the car when it was valued at £7k ish, I think it was a fair price as has been said before if you right it off, you dont owe anything and you still can put the payout to another car (finance paid off and the rest as deposit on the next)