Front speakers +magnetic fields

Has anyone else experienced this little problem I've currently got, I fitted a set of 13cm components that I had fitted in my previous car and the mid-bass woofers, depth wise fitted OK so went ahead and fitted them.

But after fitting my drivers door window at random would no longer go down or up properly either by one-touch or holding button down, you would have to keep releasing and pressing the button and then window would only move a few inches at a time.

On further investigation today, clearance and speaker rubbing is not the problem but I've found on the outside edge of the plastic speaker housing (still inside door cavity) is a connector block (maybe more) for the window control and basically when the back of the woofer get's within an inch of the connector the problems occur's but if I hold the speaker further out window operates fine so assume the magnetic field from the magnet is affecting this.

I noticed the pioneer upgrade seems to have it's magnet on front of woofer can anyone confirm this as it would then make sense if this window connector/controller can be easily affected by magnetic fields for them to do this.

Only options i can think of are
1. buy the pioneer speaker
2. relocate this controller and re-wire which will probably screw the warranty I have
3. find something to shield with but the metals that I know of such as lead would be bulky etc. and so not ideal for fitting into the tight space available

if you have it apart try something to shield the wiring - it doesnt have to be lead or metal - it might only need something in the way to weaken the field - some plastic or something or even reflective heatshield wrap

worth a try first

also have a go at resetting the finger pinch on the windows

if you have it apart try something to shield the wiring - it doesnt have to be lead or metal - it might only need something in the way to weaken the field - some plastic or something or even reflective heatshield wrap

worth a try first

also have a go at resetting the finger pinch on the windows

Thanks for tips but tried most things to shield the magnets but they are very powerful for their size even sheet of alloy, wood or plastic I tried and magnet still grabs my screwdriver, the alloy and plastic were 10mm thick and attraction was a lot weaker but as you put tip close you could feel it pulling :smile:

Initially i thought it was a wire loom that is clipped to the window runner but to the right of this is the connector/controller can just see it and when i move speaker magnet towards it, window then plays up, and then remove speaker and do the reset and window works again. Typical French sticking something which is electromagnetic sensitive by the speaker mounts :thumbdown:

On researching I found Marine speakers are shielded so as not to affect compass's & other navigation but for the money I might as well just get the Pioneers, as managed to get their UK page to load and they do mount the magnets on the front

Looks like everyone in UK is out of stock and Pioneer have minimum 4 week back order delay on them.

So not all bad as further investigation found the plug is actually connected to the end of the window motor itself (ironically made by Magneti Marelli) so explains why speaker magnets causes the problem as it is interfering with the actual motor (but don't know why passenger side is not affected as assume it is in the same position.

I had another hunt round my garage and found some 3mm thick duralumin that I've had since my days at BAe as the 10mm stuff was going to be too thick and so i made a curved shield which not only covered the inside of plastic speaker mount but also went through into door cavity and ending a couple of mm before the cable attached to window rail.

This seems to have actually worked, so obviously reduces the interference just enough so the motor can now operate correctly.

Now very happy as was bit disappointed in not being able to use my existing components as they were quality Infinity kit.

Update: 3mm thick was enough to shield while speaker passive, but had to increase to 6mm thick when woofer was active.

Last edited: