What front and rear speakers to go for?

Callum German

Gold Member
So I've looked at loads of threads and I haven't got to far. My standard speakers are crackling quite a bit...

Just wondering what people would recommend for the replacement speakers in the front and rear? Direct replacement preferably.

I was thinking about the Pioneer TS-Q131C set for the front, so tweeters included as well and direct replacement. But I'm not sure what to put in the rear? I also have an old 1300watt Vibe sub that I might put it in the boot for a bit of extra bass as I listen to a lot of bassy music...

Mine started rattling on the front so I just replaced them with some Vibe Coaxials and unplugged the factory tweeters. I did leave the factory tweeters plugged in at first but it sounded a bit harsh/bright on certain music even with the higher frequencies EQ'd down. Works OK for me as I couldn't be bothered spending a load of money on speakers even though I was tempted!

If you want something that's going to sound better than standard your best to go with a good quality set of components up front. A lot of people have used the Pioneer ones and they are a straight fit BUT for £70-£80 you can get far better quality component speakers. They just won't be as plug and play to fit and you really do need to amp them up to get the best out of them, the passive crossovers most components come with suck quite a bit of power up and there's also finding somewhere to stash them in the door and running wires up to the tweeter positions in the dash.

The best setup for sound quality is:
Quality front component system running from a 2ch amp
Rear sub-woofer
You can upgrade the rear speakers if you want but sound quality wise it won't really add anything.

All depends how much your willing to spend, as I say the Pioneer speakers aren't bad and are a slight improvement over standard but they won't blow you away.

Reactions: Dystant
Thanks for the info Mattb_197!

So I took the lazy way and went for the Pioneers, it was payday and I couldnt say no. Hopefully when I get five minutes I can hook them up and the sub. Got some sound deadening to fit as well which I'm hoping will kill a few rattles etc. If I'm still not happy I think I'll take your advice and see if I can hook up a proper amy or something.

Thanks again bud

I have really nice Helix Audiophile speakers FrNt/Bck waiting in the wings for a proper sound install, but I'm not sure I want to anymore... Maybe when am up for it and in the right mood I'll start tearing out the interior and doing it properly.. I love music and engine sounds, so the best of both worlds? ...mmm.

Reactions: Callum German