Fords new key

Roy

clio197.net legend
Will new Ford technology curb reckless teen driving?
Lois Avery, *22 Sep, 2011 Liked
Parents will soon be able to programme their cars to curb their teenage children’s dangerous driving habits, when new technology from Ford hits the UK next year.

In an effort to improve road safety, Ford has come up with a device that will allow parents to control how their children behave behind the wheel.

Mums and dads will be able to set certain parameters, such as a top speed limit and stereo volume.

Statistically, young drivers are more likely to be involved in a road crash than other age groups, according to road safety charity Brake.

One in eight licence holders in Britain is under 25, yet one in four fatal and serious injury crashes involves a driver in this age group, and sky-high motor insurance costs reflect the risks posed by young motorists.

So will this new technology prove popular among parents when it hits the UK next year?

How does it work?
The MyKey system allows the parent to programme any key through the vehicle message centre, which updates the SecuriLock Passive Anti-Theft System.

When the MyKey is inserted into the ignition, the system reads the transponder chip in the key and immediately identifies the MyKey code, which imposes certain default driving modes.

Parents can set a top speed for the vehicle of up to 80 miles per hour, a maximum radio volume, and seat belt warnings.

The key can even stop the radio being turned on until all passengers have fastened their seat belts. It provides earlier low-fuel warnings and can be programmed to sound alerts at 45, 55 and 65 mph to help keep speed in check.

In addition to this it will also be linked to the emergency services: if the car crashes, the device will call the police automatically and a GPS signal will alert them to its location as well.

The technology is already available in the US on all new Ford Focus models and will come to Europe in 2012 on the new Ford Fiesta.

How will it help young drivers?
More than half of the parents surveyed by Ford said they worry that their teenagers are driving recklessly, talking on mobile phones or texting, or are otherwise distracted.

A third of parents also said that their teens do not always fasten their safety belts when driving. And according to national figures, teens are more likely to take risks such as speeding – a contributing factor in an estimated 30 per cent of all fatal crashes.

“Ford not only offers industry-leading crash protection and crash avoidance systems, we also are committed to developing new technologies such as MyKey that encourage safer driving behaviour,” said Sue Cischke, Ford group vice president of sustainability, environment and safety engineering.

“MyKey can help promote safer driving, particularly among teens, by encouraging safety belt use, limiting speed and reducing distractions.”

What do parents think?
About 50 per cent of those who would consider purchasing MyKey told Ford that they would allow their children to use the family vehicle more often if it were equipped with the new technology.

The added seat time can help young drivers build their driving skills in a more controlled setting, complementing proposals for graduated licensing laws that would give young drivers more freedom as they get older.

Teenage drivers surveyed by*Ford said they are largely open to MyKey if it means they will have more freedom to drive. Initially, 67 per cent of teens polled said they wouldn’t want MyKey features.

However, if using MyKey would lead to greater driving privileges, only 36 per cent would object to the technology.

Cutting motoring costs
Ford say that using MyKey to teach teens to avoid speeding can provide an added benefit – improved fuel economy.

Ford research shows that driving 55 mph instead of 65 mph consumes 15 per cent less fuel, and mastering other eco-driving habits can help improve fuel economy by more than 50 per

I seen this somewhere earlier, can't remember where!!

I can see it doing some good, but can't see the young drivers happy about it haha

Personally I think they have missed a trick here with the limiter, its all very good limiting the top speed to say 65-70mph, it doesnt stop a tool doing 65-70 in a 30mph zone though. Limiting the vehicles revs in each gear would be a better option, especially as a lot of the newer cars detect which gear they are in anyway (limit set at 5k in a 197/200 for the under 25s :wink: )

So in a 40 zone you can still take a roundabout at 40?

Can't see it working and it's just a lazy method of parenting.

In one way its a good idea but in another way it just wont work.
When i was 17 i bought my own car, it was bought with my own money so my parents had no say on when i drove it or how i drove it.
Im sure there are many more people in the uk who will do / have done the same.
Over in USA the teens tend to drive mum or dads car OR mum or dad buy one for them so the 'Mykey' idea will work better over their.

Brilliant idea, poorly executed... Like a lot of American things!!

Could have been a big step forward.

My work van is limited to 62 mph, which means you can't go fast on the motorway. But my guess is that the majority of accidents happen in areas where they are more built up. I would say that a big contributing factor in accident fatalities is road furniture layout. The number of signs and posts littered around our roads is simply far too many and we are now ditching roundabouts in favour of traffic lights like the US and Aus. I can't count the number of times I have seen young people racing to beat the traffic lights.

I do a lot of driving and would say that beating the lights is by far the biggest thing I see. I would say that most accidents are also down to other contributing factors such as alcohol and more importantly drugs. Even casual drugs such as canabis must have a detrimental effect on driving ability.

I think part of the theory driving test should be a 15 minute video showing pictures from accidents that have been 'bad'.

Our vans were limited to 58 Arran but like yours but for motorway driving we thought that was dangerous and we had them changed as it's 70 on the motorways

Our vans were limited to 58 Arran but like yours but for motorway driving we thought that was dangerous and we had them changed as it's 70 on the motorways

Doesnt it depend on van size though, transit size vans are 60 on the motorway although it's very rare to see one below 80 unless the traffics sluggish

I think up to 7.5 tonnes are 70 mph. Not 100% sure on that though. I was driving a Crafter at 70 over the weekend.

Na it's 70 in vans like cars but your right you never see them going below 80 lol

Where does it mention about motorways on that page, or do we just take it that it isn't mentioned so is 70? The vans I usually drive are classed as car derived I think, Citroen Berlingo? But that Crafter I had at the weekend will be subject to the lower speed limit.

Another question I have, if a motorway is dual carriageway, does that mean you could travel at 60 mph or 70 mph? Such as the M54, it only has 2 lanes. But is the M54.

Where does it mention about motorways on that page, or do we just take it that it isn't mentioned so is 70? The vans I usually drive are classed as car derived I think, Citroen Berlingo? But that Crafter I had at the weekend will be subject to the lower speed limit.

Another question I have, if a motorway is dual carriageway, does that mean you could travel at 60 mph or 70 mph? Such as the M54, it only has 2 lanes. But is the M54.

If it's classified Motorway, it's 70, if it's and A road, however many lanes, it's 60 (unless it's a single carriageway, which is 50!)

Our drivers are told to drive slow to avoid pollution to the planet but they don't say about travelling 35 miles both ways to deliver 1 customers shopping lol