Flat Spot

Mine is really bad. It's only cruising around that you really notice it. If you're on it you're generally high enough in the rev range to avoid it.

I'm going to get mine mapped next month I think to get rid of it.

I've had my centre silencer taken out and the flatspot is from 2500 - 3000 rpm.

Mine is really bad. It's only cruising around that you really notice it. If you're on it you're generally high enough in the rev range to avoid it.

I'm going to get mine mapped next month I think to get rid of it.

I've had my centre silencer taken out and the flatspot is from 2500 - 3000 rpm.

So has the flat spot literally got no power at all?

Yep. It's only small. It's like lag. The engine just strangles for a second and then all is normal.

So its like having a turbo haha?

Is it livable or is it as annoying as it sounds?

I just dont know whether its justified to spend 60 on a decat then get it mapped or just to leave it with the flat spot?

So its like having a turbo haha?

Is it livable or is it as annoying as it sounds?

I just dont know whether its justified to spend 60 on a decat then get it mapped or just to leave it with the flat spot?
You can learn to drive around it.

I'm only getting it mapped because why not lol.

I still have the cats. If you remove them its even worse than mine apparently. I've got a non res scorpion system.

You can learn to drive around it.

I'm only getting it mapped because why not lol.

I still have the cats. If you remove them its even worse than mine apparently. I've got a non res scorpion system.

Think i might leave it for now! Think it will do my head in :mellow: ...

besides ive only got 3 and a half months to save for my holiday hahaha! dont think the wife would be too pleased if i blew all our spending money on a decat and map :lol:

I've never driven a car with a turbo, but I suspect its very similar. Put your foot down and the revs slowly rise and once it hits 3000 rpm it just goes. It can be annoying at times but just change down a gear and its fine.

Its not like turbo,especialy the modern ones that kick in even at1500-2000 .
Its annoying i guess those flat spots but more interesting is if it can cause damage/increase wear to engine [emoji780]

Its annoying i guess those flat spots but more interesting is if it can cause damage/increase wear to engine [emoji780]

Yeah good point, does anyone know about any wearing issues not getting it mapped?

I was under the assumption that larger turbos kick in at a higher rpm, but as said before, i've never driven a turbo car so was only guessing. Perhaps the car may be running lean whilst in the flatspot? Just thinking out loud here

Last edited:
I was under the assumption that larger turbos kick in at a higher rpm, but as said before, i've never driven a turbo car so was only guessing. Perhaps the car may be running lean whilst in the flatspot? Just thinking out loud here

I was under the assumption that larger turbos kick in at a higher rpm, but as said before, I've never driven a turbo car so was only guessing. Perhaps the car may be running lean whilst in the flatspot? Just thinking out loud here

To be fair it depends on the car, size of the turbo, map ect ... Depends on all sorts for what RPM it starts to boost. For example my old Fabia vRS 1.9 TDI - Boost pressure from these is load-driven not RPM driven - Made it feel quicker than my 197 to be honest! a lot quicker - although it only had 130bhp, 240 lbs of torque helped it a lot! :eek:

in general if you planning on doing any exhaust upgrades-do them first and then have it mapped..so think this through mate as you would be wasting your money on a remap and then deciding to go full aftermarket...
good luck

in general if you planning on doing any exhaust upgrades-do them first and then have it mapped..so think this through mate as you would be wasting your money on a remap and then deciding to go full aftermarket...
good luck

Yeah, think im gunna leave it for now till the summer, i like it as it is for now but sometime in the future, changes will be made!

I live in Wolverhampton and don't want to go all the way to RST if I can help it. Is there somewhere closer I can go for a good custom map?

I'm also from the Midlands area, where abouts is rst? My car has a miltek de cat pipe and the flat spot is terrible, my last track car was a 450 bhp with a turbo that didn't spool till 4k and was still better than this flat spot why the previous owner fitted it is beyond me.