Flashing the headlights?

This may sound like a really stupid question but.. I am a new owner of a clio 197 and I can't figure out how to flash the headlights?

When I pull the stalk back the high beam flashes, but then the headlights come on and stay on. I'm I correct in assuming this is feature that puts the lights on for 30 seconds while you get to your house?

If I pull the stalk back less, I very, very occasionally get a high beam flash but like 1 in 100 attempts.

Is my stalk faulty or am I just being a complete tit?

The problem I'm having is when the headlights are in the off position, upon pulling the stick back to flash, I get a flash of the high beam but then the dipped headlights come on and stay on, and the only way to turn them off is to rotate the headlights to dipped and back to off again. Surely it's possible to flash the headlights without them coming on and staying on?

The reason I'm asking is because when i bought the car it had repair bills for the wiper stalk which had gone up in smoke, so I'm wondering if maybe the headlight stalk has issues too?

Sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology or making things difficult to understand but this is my first car so I'm not 100% sure how it's supposed to behave.

Hopefully this video explains it better:
[video]http://kindon.me/VID_20140928_215550.mp4[/video]

Video doesnt work on my ipad, but if your lights are coming on when your pulling the stalk back when the dial is in the off position you have a problem.

I have the same problem, I think it's just poor quality from Renault again, you'll get used to this and likely forgive the car for its errors.

Thought so. I might take it apart and check for any loose connections. Currently I'm flashing people by turning the headlights on and off. Bit of a faff but it's better than having the headlights stay on in the middle of the day.

Cheers for the help guys. I'll report back if I manage to fix it.