Flacsi's Racing Red 197

Today I met a man who has enormous knowledge on Clio suspensions, as he was the tech man on Clio Cup series in Hungary and still runs cars on track competitions.
Based on his suggestion, his garage set up my suspension as follows:
26525995864_67e85877da_b.jpgUntitled by Tamás Flatsker, on Flickr

27131889515_eb59744921_b.jpgUntitled by Tamás Flatsker, on Flickr

The max front camber with @simo top mounts is (2.3)ish degree
Front open/negative to is (1)mm open on each side

Rear camber is a surprising (1.3)ish negative :smile:
Rear toe is a 6.9mm positive/close toe :worried:

So the next step is to change the rear toe with shims to 2mm, meaning 1mm each side, which will change the car when cornering!
When I will get used to it, I will go down to zero and later try the negative/open toe at the back

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Should feel a lot better with the rear wheels pointing straighter, interested to see how that goes.
did he mention anything about running more positive caster ?

Finally rear suspension setup is done, pls note the rear TOE by side being +0.8mm! Compared to the OEM/previous +3.8mm!!!
I think there will be many huuu tomorrow on the track, until I get used to it the tail happiness of the little one :smile:

26942351680_e2b8f8a451_b.jpgUntitled by Tamás Flatsker, on Flickr

After so much prep work -AC removal, battery & header tank re-location, Access/V6 airbox installation, seat base lowering, high-flow filter, carbon mirrors, fine tuning the suspension- I warmed up my little one @PannoniaRing and started to enjoy the loveliness of the rear end and the clutch has gone on the fifth lap!

It was an awful feeling after many-many faultless track-days in the past 5 years. Was waiting for the rescue team, alone in the track, silence in the car, I was close to crying.
Seems that the slave cylinder has gone inside the airbox. So gearbox will come off -lots of labour cost :worried:

As @Yiannis said it still looks good in the air :smile:
Couple of you were informed @simo @Rene6767 @Yiannis - immediately, thanks for your support during that day!

As the gearbox is off, what would you suggest pls to check, change, replace, upgrade?

27221210556_2c954a991b_b.jpg:worried: by Tamás Flatsker, on Flickr

27254932955_14c1f602e9_b.jpg:worried: by Tamás Flatsker, on Flickr

Last edited:
Little one is ready to rock again!!!
Took a while to do it, due to hol and work load issues, but finally arrived home!
The whole clutch has been refurbished including the mechanism the clutch plate and the flywheel.
Also bought and changed the slave cylinder, drive shaft seal and the 3rd gear syncro baulk.
Went for motul 75W-140 gear competition gearbox oil, which is more fluid than the -90.

With labour cost it cost me €660 at the end, was not cheap, but learnt the lesson: having the Quaife LSD in the gearbox -which does not seems a very strong LSD- but it does work and prepares heat. Due to the excess heat the "O" ring inside the slave cylinder got "melted", so sit happened.
Therefore I have to change the gearbox oil after every 2 track-days (let say 180 km/4 session per track-day) to avoid such situation like this, because its a road car, what I use as a race car and it was not built for this :worried:

Hope you learn from this!

Interesting... was it excessive gearbox oil heat or hydraulic fluid heat acting on the slave that melted the o-ring?

If it's gear oil, should be really easy to package one of these, as my box is off I'll investigate for re-fit:
bg3411302173993Setrab%20Slim%20Line%20011.jpg

That's the first time I'm hearing this Tamas..I find it very difficult to believe that an o-ring has melted due to oil heat? All that from an ATB diff? Lots of people are running these (including myself) but haven't experienced such problems, maybe an one off? Interesting though.

Which O ring are we on about on the slave ? The one on the tube that goes from the bearing up through the bellhousing ?

If it is - we had one of these fail after a few hundred miles on a new Valeo unit !!!

Yeah, I played with the idea to switch to RWD, S2000, but the math is against me:worried:
lets say I sell it for €12k - with all the goods on it it worth €20k, but no-one will give that price- S2000 cost €22k, plus I need to restart from the beginning: suspension, wheels, tires, brake pads €4k as a mininmum, so €14k or more...

@Flacsi ... car's up for sale, tamas?

So now have to split my free time between the bike and the car, which is hard.
Went to Slovakiaring with my mates at the begining of Sept, with the new clutch, nothing special, just a joyride with 2 min 47 sec lap time, which is 6 sec slower than my PB, but enjoyed it.
30295549740_c81776f0b4_h.jpgUntitled by Tamás Flatsker, on Flickr
30507098321_db3f13dc40_h.jpgUntitled by Tamás Flatsker, on Flickr
30507097111_7c734fd7a2_h.jpgUntitled by Tamás Flatsker, on Flickr

And on Tuesday, probably the last track-day of the season at Pannoniaring with my mates! Beautiful sunny day, around 20 Celsius, perfect day for petrol-heads!

My PB was 2min 31sec in Oct 2015, exactly a year ago. Since than, couple of changes made on the car:
AC removal
lightweight battery & header tank re-location
Access/V6 airbox installation
high-flow filter
seat base lowering
carbon mirrors
fine tuning the suspension
clutch re-refurbishment

So high hopes! One of my friend sit in as a passenger, he is a rally driver, so +95kg. But it was worth as my new PB is 2min 26 sec!
First few laps around 2:29, already better! Than based on his suggestions I took the first right hand corner in 4th gear - instead of 3rd, and the right hand at curve 12th with no brakes and a big brake in front of curve 13th-left hand and the clock showed 2min 26 sec 25!

Videos to follow!

30507112021_9108d8580b_b.jpgUntitled by Tamás Flatsker, on Flickr

Reactions: zmarton