Fit Colder rated spark plugs

Thought this info may be of interest to someone here one day and as it took me 2 weeks of solid research and 2 sets of useless plugs that didnt fit. I hope i can save someone else the hassle.

Primarily for 197s that are highly tuned (+60bhp) or, as in my case, the use of forced induction or nitrous injection a colder plug is required to prevent pre-ignition from the tip of the original plug acting as a glow plug from excessive combustion heat.

No direct upgrade is avaliable for the original 197 plug from NGK. So the part number you need is BCR8ES. Its one rating colder than the 197s and happens to be the std plug fitted to the sierra cosworth, so its very easy to come by.

Another point worth noting is these cost £4 each, which im sure is cheaper than the std plug anyway, and i'd go as far as to say the engine runs a little smoother with these fitted, even during normal driving or cold weather/initial start up.

Ant questions PM me, thanks.

No proof mate but was advised by WON to run colder plugs with 50bhp+ shots of nitrous.

Original plugs were burned to a crisp when i removed them, only done 6000miles and 6 or 7 nitrous runs.

Granted i never heard or felt any detenation when using original plugs but better to be safe than sorry.

How so mate?
in that the NGK platinum are renowed for being a good plug, I know your not saying there not :smile:

although after doin a little research myself people do seem to say ot engine, cold plug. Does the 197 class as a hot engine though?

Little chat with our Matt on sunday me thinks

in that the NGK platinum are renowed for being a good plug, I know your not saying there not :smile:

although after doin a little research myself people do seem to say ot engine, cold plug. Does the 197 class as a hot engine though?

Little chat with our Matt on sunday me thinks

On a std or mildly tuned engine i wouldnt bother as like i say you'd have to be running 60bhp+ over std or turbo charged/nitrous'd to need em.

But when im using the car normally these still operate perfectly and they are cheaper than std plugs...

Hmm... fair play!

How are you getting traction with the NOS? I struggle now!

Standard ECU = Traction control :tongueout:

I havent used it in first so far as i dont want to risk straining the drivetrain but it tries to spin in 2nd ( ESP light flashes ) but it still has some control. Would never use nitrous on the twisties though so no idea how it'd cope there.