Estate car for £3k

There is a possibility that me and the fiance are going to need an estate instead of his 172. We'll have about £3000 to spend. What would you buy or what do you think looks good for the money etc..

I might have a nice Saab 9-5 estate for sale, bargain price of £1500. 2.3t, so should be nearly as quick if not quicker than the 172! Have a look in the For Sale section, I haven't put any pictures up yet as I am waiting for the 100% go ahead about selling from my father in law.

diesel estates of ford mondeo and vauxhall vectra

or even megane dci or look at volvo estates

you will be a bit limited as there arent that many estate type cars about

Personally I would stick with an Audi A4 (possibly A6 if you can find one) or a 3 series BMW. Honda Accord is also a good one as is Skoda Octavia and any Volvo.

Personally I would stick with an Audi A4 (possibly A6 if you can find one) or a 3 series BMW. Honda Accord is also a good one as is Skoda Octavia and any Volvo.

whilst the "german" stuff is supposed to be more reliable when they go wrong and they do its expensive - whereas the fords and vauxhalls are usually cheap to fix as they are quite common as well

you will also get a newer car for the money than the german stuff....still a minefield out there!!

The newer Fabia estates are ridiculously economical, had one when I moved house was still doing 75mpg on the m'way with a triple wardrobe in the boot LOL! Not too sure how new they will be for £3k though

Mondeo or focus estate, both great cars. I had a focus 2.0 TDCi for a while and loved it, plenty of poke and handles suprisingly well

Thanks for all the advice and recommendations. :clap:
We've had a quick look on Autotrader and quite like these lot..
MG ZT-T
Peugeot 407
Audi A4/6
Honda Accord
BMW 3 series
Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTi

I also don't mind the Mondeo but he's not keen at all. I never thought of a Fabia so will look into that.

I've driven a diesel 407 estate and didn't think too much of it, very soft suspension and massive turbo lag. You wouldn't enjoy it coming from the clio.

My dad once had a rover 75 with the 2 litre diesel, it's actually a bmw engine so performs well. It was reliable too and the interior comfortable, generally a good car and no doubt a bargain.

MG ZT is meant to be a very good car. My old man had a Vectra with the 1.9 CDTi 150 engine in and it went like a train. We had a 406 estate that was great, but I couldn't stomach a 407, those mouths just make me feel sick! Lol!

lol i don't mind the 407 because it looks different, its not your average looking car. I'll be keeping my 197 or buying a Megane 175 so we'll still have a hot/warm hatch in the family. I do really like the MG seeing as i've had 2 MG's already :smile: and being the BMW engine is a major bonus.

To be honest with 3k to spend I wouldn't bother with a better or an Audi, theyll have horrendous amounts of mileage and servicing and fixing them ain't cheap. I dont think you can go wrong witha mondeo, there's plenty around.

Oh and for god sake stay well away from 407's. Easily the worst car I've ever been in or driven, it fell to bits and cost a fortune in repairs, we had one at work and got rid and swore not to buy Peugeot again...

I've just got mi sen a mk1 Skoda Octavia vRS estate. Nice car, rapid enough and with a bit of a 'Q' car about it. Returning just over 30mpg in mixed driving and closer to 40 on a long run.

Despite having 80k and being over 8yrs old it feels far more solid than my brand new Clio ever did and certainly doesn't rattle as much!