engine oil top up

Just had to top up my engine oil..

Strange thing is, it was all ok yesterday evening (from what the oil indicator on the dash) said..
Had to use 3/4 of a 1liter bottle. I have only had the car 2 months, and its had a oil change from a main Renault dealer within that time. Since I brought the car iv have done around 1500miles (33k in total).

The car hasn't really been driven hard and has mostly done motorway miles at 70 - 75mph.

Is this normal?

The dash indicator isn't foolproof unfortunately. It's very good, but don't let it lull you into a false sense of security. I still check mine manually once a week. I wouldn't have thought there's a problem there, you should always keep an eye on your oil level for 7-10 days after an oil change anyway. Just make sure you use the right oil when topping up, can't say mine has used much over the 18 Months I've had her, probably topped up no more than 1L in that time.

The general rule of thumb is that the difference from Min - Max on a car dipstick is 1L.

Last edited:
The dash indicator isn't foolproof unfortunately. It's very good, but don't let it lull you into a flase sense of security. I still check mine manually once a week. I wouldn't have thought there's a problem there, you should always keep an eye on your oil level for 7-10 days after an oil change anyway. Just make sure you use the right oil when topping up, can't say mine has used much over the 18 Months I've had her, probably topped up no more than 1L in that time.

The general rule of thumb is that the difference from Min - Max on a car dipstick is 1L.

Thanks Willis :smile: