Engine Oil Temp From OBD2

av4625

Paid Member
Searched around but couldn't get an answer.
Can you get engine oil temp from OBD2 port on a 197?
I use an Autool x60 on my megane 275 for oil temp and like it, so would like another for the clio!

Searched around but couldn't get an answer.
Can you get engine oil temp from OBD2 port on a 197?
I use an Autool x60 on my megane 275 for oil temp and like it, so would like another for the clio!
I couldn’t off the app I purchased and used via the port

I use a wireless OBD2 reader and Torque in my phone. Shows coolant temp, not sure about oil temp. Next time I connect it up Ill check.

Reactions: av4625
It won't work on the Clio as it doesn't have a dedicated oil temp sensor and iirc the Megane MK3 doesn't either, but it uses an algorithm to estimate the oil temperature using the water temperature.

Reactions: Foxspeed
It won't work on the Clio as it doesn't have a dedicated oil temp sensor and iirc the Megane MK3 doesn't either, but it uses an algorithm to estimate the oil temperature using the water temperature.
Damn, It seems that the algorithm isn't all that complicated on the megane either. When up to temp the oil temp is always exactly 10 degrees hotter than coolant. As soon as one changes a degree so does the other. Not sure if this is the case when colder. Although the oil never gets below high teens / early twenties and I only drive the car at the weekends, so has plenty of time to cool. Dunno if thats right or not.

Damn, It seems that the algorithm isn't all that complicated on the megane either. When up to temp the oil temp is always exactly 10 degrees hotter than coolant. As soon as one changes a degree so does the other. Not sure if this is the case when colder. Although the oil never gets below high teens / early twenties and I only drive the car at the weekends, so has plenty of time to cool. Dunno if thats right or not.
Not accurate at all unless a dedicated temp sensor is fitted for the oil, so take any info with a pinch of salt, oil takes longer to warm than the water generally in an engine, but does closely follow it normally then normally in turbo engines overtakes it due to flowing through the turbo, but naturally aspirated it depends on loads on the engine more once the whole engine is upto temp, oil will generally then sit slightly above water due to water receiving cooling from the rad and heater matrix

Reactions: av4625 and Foxspeed
I thought there was a dedicated sensor on the megane, before I made this post, sad now lol