Engine loss of power - NEW ENGINE UPDATE (OOOOOH YESSSSSSS) - 06/07/2011

have they said its the dephaser pulley at fault - that its started to break up inside ?

might be a chance to remove the head and flush all the swarf out and rebuild - its better being alli than steel swarf!

That is a good point, the technicians there are very good from my experience and i am confident from what i saw yesterday and the way they are working around the car they will get to the bottom of what it is and provide the cheapest proper solution that they can.

That is a good point, the technicians there are very good from my experience and i am confident from what i saw yesterday and the way they are working around the car they will get to the bottom of what it is and provide the cheapest proper solution that they can.

sounds good fella

see if you can get some pictures and any details of what they find is the cause as this will help others on here

oh and fingers crossed its not too expensive

sounds good fella

see if you can get some pictures and any details of what they find is the cause as this will help others on here

oh and fingers crossed its not too expensive

Will do dude! Fingers crossed yes but the only way this isnt going to be expensive is if RUK help me out! :worried:

I've seen this on a few 182's. Appears to be an oil starvation issue when it does happen

IMAG0065.jpg
IMAG0064.jpg
IMAG0063.jpg

in this instance oil wasn't getting to the head properly and swarf got into the dephaser and ruined it, whole engine had to be replaced

PM me if you want a 197 engine, as i have one sat here.

Infact text me on 07855432131, as im not on here often.

Thanks for the offer dude!

Got to wait on what Renault diagnose on tuesday and then go from there. They will then be talking to RUK about the issue aswell for assistance.

Im really hoping they will be able to support in this issue.

Interesting, I don't know how you would able to tell if oil wasnt getting in :worried:

well 2 examples specifically, one had cracked the sump and ran very low on oil which caused damage and then low oil pressure, and the other was used on track from new, and i suspect oil surge again causing low oil pressure

Tbh i just want the car back. Fed up of not having it.

Thats a fair bit of luck. I can see your annoyance mate, all i do is look after my car with bubble wrap and its forever going wrong. My little bros 150,000 mile vtr is abused and neglected, been faultless!

Silver lining and all, you may get a new fresh lump out of it.

Thats a fair bit of luck. I can see your annoyance mate, all i do is look after my car with bubble wrap and its forever going wrong. My little bros 150,000 mile vtr is abused and neglected, been faultless!

Silver lining and all, you may get a new fresh lump out of it.

Thanks Ben. And i know what your saying, you see cars all the time that get the **** kicked out of them yet never go wrong. All i do is love it and service it more than it should be and it goes wrong like this!

Silver lining yes, but what are the chances of that happening without paying for it lol. I know RUK are good but how good.....remains to be seen.

Isn't oil starvation the problem Simo had at the Ring??

Yes thats the problem he had at the ring i think. Not sure if thats the problem i have now had. Head engineer at Smiths Peterborough will be talking to me in more detail when hes back in on Tuesday.

Could also be something like failure of the oil pump causing oil starvation

Yes this is true.

Smiths have said that they dont think we will ever find out the true cause of whats made this happen. But what we do know is that it seems to be very uncommon on this engine as im sure most people on here would have to agree with.

I wont be getting into the total cost of the repair but it WILL be a new engine going into the car now. Approval for this came from RUK yesterday afternoon.

Smiths have obviously contacted me since then and i have also been contacted by RUK and i am very pleased to say Smiths Renault and RUK have been able to help out to a degree i didnt think would originally be possible in terms of finances and in terms of service.

Ever since the discovery of the problem and then the full diagnosis of what needed to be done both have been very helpful with getting things into motion. After all i guess its not every day you have this kind of problem with a 197 engine.

Will be speaking with Smiths again later on today once the final costings are done, they then will just need me to give the go ahead for the repairs.
Will keep updated.

Last edited:
hope you get it sorted soon mate, as said, at least who your dealing with seem to be serving you well, I spose it can take the edge off a little bit. Still guttering though