Engine loss of power - NEW ENGINE UPDATE (OOOOOH YESSSSSSS) - 06/07/2011

Hey all,

Driving home from work today and all of a sudden the car just won't accelerate like it should!? Feels sluggish! No warning lights are on!

The service light is on and has been for a little while due to having serviced at Renault half way between the 12k service as I wanted the plugs done! Is this what's affecting me now!??!

Foxspeed if your listening!!!!!!!

My bros car had this, albeit a golf. But the maf sensor needed replacing, maybe something to consider?

Normally lack of fuel or lack of ignition.

I doubt having the service due will ever cut power but you could reset the counter to be sure, there's a how to on here somewhere.

More likely that it's something like a blocked fuel filter or could even be the CAT which has gone and partially blocked the exhaust.

:lol: i dont have all the answers but wish i did !

no warning lights.....mmmmmm

have you stopped and switched it off then re-started to see if it clears?

could be poor fuel

or even brakes binding slightly

I have stopped and restarted yes and it was back to normal for a few minutes then felt it again :worried:

Will try get in at Renault tomorrow to get it plugged in, funny thing is that the engine revs up just very slowly in comparison :worried:

Will try get in at Renault tomorrow to get it plugged in, funny thing is that the engine revs up just very slowly in comparison :worried:

sounds like it could be a throttle body problem if its revving up slow might be not getting a good signal from it

Yeh this is what I'm thinking! I mean, it goes there just slower lol. Less air defo would explain what I'm feeling happen in terms of power.

Don't get me wrong though, something not good is up with the car, its sluggish as anything. It basically feels like the speed limiter is on and then you know when you accelerate past the set limit.......it let's you......but god it's slow

Been into Smiths Renault today and they have found the problem. It turns out its the dephaser pulley not working properly. Their guys have said this is due to either the solenoid thingy not working correctly allowing the pulley to work properly or the pulley mechanism itself isnt working and may need replacing. He did however say that the pulley does appear to be functioning correctly. This will hopefully mean its just the solenoid that will need replacing and i really hope so as the pulley is expensive and will have to have the cambelt done at the same time! :worried: I guess in one respect that would kill two birds with one stone and in another.......i just dont have loads of cash for that right now!! I guess you never do though :worried:

Will update tomorrow when its back in Smiths, top service from them as usual!

Now i have a huge problem. Smiths have drained the oil and inspected the head of the engine and have found tiny pieces of what they believe to be aluminium in the oil and around the camshaft(s) and dephaser pulley was covered in the same. Litttle tiny specs.

They are doing some costings for me to see what its going to take to get this engine back to its normal awesome form! This doesnt sound at all like its going to be cheap and tbh i am expecting to hear i will need a top end rebuild on an engine that i have only ever looked after whilst changing the oil every 6-8 thousand miles.

Currently the car is sitting on about 40,000 miles and i have given Renault UK a ring this morning and spoke to them about what they are able to do in order to help with the issue. They have assured me they will be getting in touch with the dealer this morning.

Personally i am not awear of any major issues with these engines?? I am currently waiting for a response to see whats going to need doing. Top service so far from Smiths Renault in Peterborough and also from Renault UK this morning.

Just cant believe my luck to be honest, the car has only ever been looked after!!

Will keep updated. :worried:

that's bad mate :worried: I hope RUK help out with the bill if it's a big one.

I hope you get it all sorted mate, best of luck!

engine off ebay, swap over and rescue what you can prob cost £1500 to source and swap, strip the other and sell... manifold, throttle body, and any other salvagable bits :s

still cost £1200 or there abouts

Makes sense that the solenoid isn't working -probably full of swarf

Sad to hear this -best of luck..

Last edited:
Fook thats not good...hope its not the worst mate

Same here :worried:

that's bad mate :worried: I hope RUK help out with the bill if it's a big one.

I hope you get it all sorted mate, best of luck!

Yes i hope so too! The guy on the phone said they might be able to sort something out.

Bad news..but hopefully you will be looked after!

Properly bad news! :worried:

engine off ebay, swap over and rescue what you can prob cost £1500 to source and swap, strip the other and sell... manifold, throttle body, and any other salvagable bits :s

still cost £1200 or there abouts

Makes sense that the solenoid isn't working -probably full of swarf

Sad to hear this -best of luck..

Yeh i know, it was full they said. Not to mention i saw it with my own eyes. They have been excepional so far in getting to the bottom of it. Just hope its resolved soon.

have they said its the dephaser pulley at fault - that its started to break up inside ?

might be a chance to remove the head and flush all the swarf out and rebuild - its better being alli than steel swarf!

Reactions: MikeClio197