Eagle F1 A2 v Contisport

Funnily enough I was going to start a thread on how good my Eagles are.

In short they are superb. Grip is better than the Conti's (even when the Conti's were new) and road noise is less too. I went for the stiffer sidewall (91s) and changed all 4 tyres about 2500 miles ago.

I would highly recommend them. Evo tyre of choice for a reason!!!!

What size is everyone running. Need to put 4 on this week and not sure whether to get 215's or 225's
Also not sure about the sidewall strength....

I'm not sure why someone would buy Contis over F1s. Certainly as good, probably better, and considerably cheaper. As an all-round, all-weather tyre, it's hard to beat F1s. That said, I'm pondering a set of semi-slicks.

Hiller: I'd go for 215s. With the 225s you get extra sidewall as well as width. 87s are nice, but I'd go for the 91s next time, certainly on the front anyway.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why someone would buy Contis over F1s. Certainly as good, probably better, and considerably cheaper. As an all-round, all-weather tyre, it's hard to beat F1s. That said, I'm pondering a set of semi-slicks.

Hiller: I'd go for 215s. With the 225s you get extra sidewall as well as width. 87s are nice, but I'd go for the 91s next time, certainly on the front anyway.

Yeah I was thinking that, they're going to get booked in for the end of the week then.
Thanks mate

I'm in the same boat. Need tyres, but torn between F1s or semi slicks haha.

Were I to own a Clio with 300lbft, I wouldn't find it hard to justify AD08s!
I'm just eager to see what all the fuss is about.

I found GY F1 A2 to be worse than my CSC3.

The sidewall is 2x stiffer on the CSC3 than on the GY.

Just look at this pic of my car on the track with the GY, and the position of the tire and the rim...the feedback is awful. It's like the tire has no more grip, but in reality it does. It doesn't give me any confidence when driving fast:

IMG_8115.jpg

IMG_8114.jpg

And yes, I was checking/correcting the tire pressure every 2-3 laps.

The same track on Toyo R888 4 years ago:

IMG_4019.jpg

IMG_3827.jpg

If we talk continentals, for basically the same price you can get the Sport Contact 3 or 5's... 5 is better on fuel and wet. Arghhhh what tyres to go for.

Last edited:
Then go for CSC5, I'm only referring to the ones that I have/had.
From what you said i'll probably go conti, I don't think semi slicks would be worth it for 1/2 track days a year on a daily car. And it looks like you've done some proper time on them! :smile:

Had 3 sets of CSC3, one R888 and now GY E1 A2 for the second season (started using Clio as a weekend car - did only 5500km in 11 months).

I found CSC3 to be thr best all round tires. R888 are a nightmare when it comes to aquaplaning and the loudness (they sound like all four wheel bearings are broken :wink: ) but the dry grip and sidewall strength are awesome.

I have just ordered a couple of Syron Street Races at £57 each delivered (link) (they have a website but it's down for maintenance atm). I was in the same position as [MENTION=39047]tenatp[/MENTION] in November and decided to go for AD08Rs to see what all the fuss was about.. and they are pretty good! Now they need replacing and at £57 each I couldn't let the opportunity to try the Syrons pass by. Hopefully they will be good :smile:

I have just ordered a couple of Syron Street Races at £57 each delivered (link) (they have a website but it's down for maintenance atm). I was in the same position as @tenatp in November and decided to go for AD08Rs to see what all the fuss was about.. and they are pretty good! Now they need replacing and at £57 each I couldn't let the opportunity to try the Syrons pass by. Hopefully they will be good :smile:
That is stupidly cheap for a semi slick :blush:.
Just read a pretty good review of them on CS, they are actually very good comparing to the AD08's this guy is saying.. i.e Heat up quicker, very quite, better in the wet than them too.
Only downside is 1.5mm less tread from new, but for the price that is mad.

That is stupidly cheap for a semi slick :blush:.
Just read a pretty good review of them on CS, they are actually very good comparing to the AD08's this guy is saying.. i.e Heat up quicker, very quite, better in the wet than them too.
Only downside is 1.5mm less tread from new, but for the price that is mad.

Yeah I've read that review too! There aren't that many reviews etc out that for them and not a single one on tyrereviews.co.uk but the ones I have seen rate them and a couple of people on here have them too. I will write a review thread after I have them fitted (which might be a while) with my opinions

I have fitted the Syrons recently. They are epic tyres. I had conti 5's on before which would wash out if pushed them. But I have not been able get these to let go (on the road anyway)

They do have a little less tread but for the price you can just get another set!

I couldn't agree more with what's been said about the F1s. Those sidewalls look horrible in those track photos. Although that'll be why they have such good road manners.

Yeah I've read that review too! There aren't that many reviews etc out that for them and not a single one on tyrereviews.co.uk but the ones I have seen rate them and a couple of people on here have them too. I will write a review thread after I have them fitted (which might be a while) with my opinions
Gutted they are double the price for 225/40/18's :worried:

EDIT:
These are now on tyreleader £91.89 per corner in the size above. Cheapest I've found by miles!!

Last edited:
Any reviews on PS3 and PSS? Would be interested to know how it is rated to end users
PS3's in my own experience;
-Fantastic dry grip in summer
-Faultless in the wet
-Not bad in the ice/snow/slush <-0 degrees
-Can easily be used all year round
-Impressive on track. Did a full track day last year in the summer fantastic performance with no fade in 15-20 min sessions. Car felt planted with good turn in, gave me loads of confidence, plenty of braking power and felt predictable.
Only thing I noticed after track is that they had quite a fair bit of pick up, but not really a bad point.
-Good on fuel
-Quite road noise

Can pick them up for around 87 a corner (225/40/18) so i'd say easily best all rounder tyre you can buy under 100!

Fun fact; Clio 197 cup racers HAVE to use PS3 tyres, so can't be that bay ey :wink:.