Eagle F1 A2 v Contisport

Ok so I changed the conti's for eagles last week and just wanted to let anyone that still using conti's know.... Change them now! Honestly the difference is ridiculous. I'd say probably around 30-35% extra grip with the Asymmetric 2's. did some testing on roundabouts around my work and couldn't believe the difference.

and at 90pounds per corner on Camskill they are a bargain! Just wanted you guys who still back OEM to know.

don't forget your "old" conti will have been worn - so unless its a back to back test of new vs new its not really scientific...

Bravo..... I've not used those tyres myself but I am on a crusade to topple the Contis from their overinflated pedestal and banish them to the waste bin of history. So I applaud your review.

Not very old foxspeed, just fancied a change. If it was marginal then I'd agree with you but we're talking like a third extra before it let go. Made the test as fair as possible.

I got f1's just because I wanted to try some different compounds. It's that time again and I'm struggling to justify getting anything else, grip and longevity are really impressive. They also look better too!

Here's another vote for the Eagles. Brilliant tyre and I've had both the Conti's and the Bridgestones.
Plus to this old F1 fan there's something about having Goodyear Eagle on the sidewall of your tyre!!

I've just changed to F1s on the front, im definetly impressed, obviously its hard to compare tyres directly as my contis were worn down. But the eagles do seem to have better grip, especially in the wet and the road noise seems less :smile:

Bravo..... I've not used those tyres myself but I am on a crusade to topple the Contis from their overinflated pedestal and banish them to the waste bin of history. So I applaud your review.

I concur good sir. Never rated them and they have been standard fit on my last two cars. Every tyre I've changed to has been a vast improvement.

I'm just about to order 4 Eagle F1 tyres. Which load index did you go for?.. I'm just thinkin 87...not sure how a difference in load index will benefit me

Higher load index tends to mean a stiffer side wall on the tyre so may make it a bit stiffer and a bit harsher.

I totally agree, changed to F1's a little over 2000 miles ago, and wow what a difference, a mate changed his around the same time he stuck with conti but the SC5's, he noticed a slight improvement but the F1's a massive improvement.
i have however picked up a slow puncture in 1 and can't pinpoint why... Through work our tyre guy has twice had it off and checked for any signs of nick/hole/nail/screw and twice replaced the valve as was his only possible explanation, still dropping but won't go below about 25psi, still annoying though

I've just ordered x4 F1 they're getting delivered and fitted on my drive this Saturday! And also it's funny you said that about the slow leak. Every couple of weeks my front pressure goes down to about 25/26 but there doesn't seem to be any leaks what so ever. So I put it down to over inflating them...

And also it's funny you said that about the slow leak. Every couple of weeks my front pressure goes down to about 25/26 but there doesn't seem to be any leaks what so ever. So I put it down to over inflating them...

I've had this too, mine dropped to 24psi, only the front left though.... on subject though I'm going to go for f1' s or ps3' s next before winter kicks in, my conti 5's are near the bead after only 4000miles. Fitted them in February...... :scared:

The deal breaker for me between f1 n conti was the wear. I used to swear by conti on my old car and they were fantastic but the f1 recommendations on here are better!

I'm reviving an old thread but don't see why not.

Having bought a set of F1s with an 87 load index a couple of months ago for the front of my 197, I'm impressed but find the sidewalls a little squidgy for my taste. My rear tyres are still the original Contis (made in 2007!!), and so naturally I'm looking to replace them fairly urgently. I'm considering buying the supposedly stiffer 91XL versions for the front for a firmer feel and swapping the two month old 87s to the rear. Does this sound sensible? Has anyone compared the 87 and 91XL versions of the F1?

I haven't compared the two but I do have 91XLs on the rear and AD08Rs on the front. Personally I can't fault them at all and they are lastly very well too.

IMO swapping them around seems fine, if they are only a couple of months old they should still have plenty of tread left.

James

Thanks James. I was considering something similar but was worried about snap oversteer with such sticky fronts. How well balanced does your car feel in wet and dry? Does your 200 have Cup suspension?

Hey mate, yeah I'm generally pretty concious of snap oversteer too (had it happen when I was 17 and put sticky Pirellis on the front of my Corsa!) but seeing as you would essentially be putting the same tyres on the front (albeit a bit newer and with stiffer sidewalls) I think you would be fine.

I have cup suspension and the balance is fine in dry & can understeer a bit in the wet.. I have only had the rear step out once and that was with the tyre setup mentioned and on the track. Although I think my driving style tends to induce understeer a LOT more than oversteer for some reason, need to get some tuition next time I'm on track :smile:

Thanks. Clearly the car would be fairly balanced with F1s variants all round, But I was actually asking about the AD08s, which seems like it would cause issues. The rear end of the cup chassis is a lot stabler in my experience, but can definitely be persuaded to oversteer during hard braking, just as you'd expect. I wouldn't worry about your driving style in that respect. Lift off as you turn in if you really want sideways.