driving to the South of France

hi

just a couple of questions really, we are looking at the South of Framce again this year, and having tried the coach (24hrs) have in the past couple of years let the train take the strain.

1st couple of times were good, ashford (kent) to lille, change platform and to Perpignan, then good old eurostar changed their services and we had to go to Paris and change stations, the longer we stay the more luggage and in fact the shorter gaps between transfers.

this year we wanted to go for 3 weeks and looking at advice for driving, we have driven into dunkirk for beer runs but never a 700 mile journey.

Therefore the questions are, best route, as novices are we better to stick to the payage which are supposidly quieter or the free roads.

are we better to leave in the evening from UK, drive till dark overnight then on the next day or ealry shuttle and drive in a day with regular breaks.

Do we require additional breakdown cover or will Renault Assist suffice

emergency kit, we have in watching on ebay 2 vests, bulb kit, gb sticker, beam diflectors. anything else required.

we thought of having a 4 wheel allighment before we go.

many thanks in advance

If it is your first time long driving trip abroad (france) on the wrong side of the road, I would stick to motorway. Yes you will pay the toll but it is a lot safer and fast to get were you want. Also you need triangle, yellow jacket (in the glove box not in the boot). Word of advice : be careful on speeding as they time you from toll point to toll point so take it easy it is like our average speed camera but long distance. Once you have arrived at destination just then enjoy the local country side road !!

I go into Europe twice a year - once to South West France, and once to Germany.

I'd recommend getting additional breakdown cover yes.

Stick to the Peage, but try to avoid Paris at all costs, it is hell round there. We get to Dieppe at 4am, and drive down the 500 miles on Motorway - costs about €50 each way in total. Motorways are always quiet (but not round Paris)

And then, there is the fact you can stop when you want - there are "Aire de...." all along the motorways in France, every 10 miles or something. Each one has a toilet, and half have a shop and fuel.

I'll always drive to Europe, much more fun than going on the train. I try to avoid driving when dark though, something freaks me out about driving at night on the wrong side of the road lol!

the warning triangle thats the one we forgot but think we have one in the car, also read to make sure we have a can of tire weld as well. Read that the vest has to be in the car and found a box that will sit under the seat.

we are looking at the last week of august and think we may try the early start but perhaps a overnight on the way back as it will be darker earlier.

what should we look for for breakdown cover, our gordini will only be 11 months old and thought the renault assist would cover us.

also we have admiral multicar so do we need a top up policy, the certificate has a euro cert on the rear.

read about the average cameras but luckily have cruise control so will look to get it below the limits to be safe.