Does the 200 have greater kudos than the 197

If 200 is so ugly.... Why do people put the 200 diffuser and exhausts on 197's? Cause lets face it most people just see the back end as ya overtake them lol

Its the front of the 200 I hate, but I don't have the diffuser or exhaust tips from the 200 on my 197 either...

It's like all Renaultsport's, each new version is better than the last.

182 is better than 172, R26 230 megane is better than 225 and the 200 is better than the 197.

It's all in the little details which go on to make a car better.

I am sure the new 200t willbe good, but the 'face lift' version they will undoubtly bring out in 12-18 months will be better.

The cars evolve and luckily for us, Renault evolve them positively!!!

Ps - the 197 looks very dated now, so wake up and smell the coffee kids!!! LOLZ! :smile:

thats a matter of opinion - if you can live with the body panels that dont seem to line up right and the basking shark slotted front look then great...if not its the dated look for me :thumbsup:

200 is a better car overall full stop. A little bit yes, but still better.

Looks? well I suppose this is totally subjective. Each to their own, that's why I went for an R27. I could have bought a 200 but I just don't like it. I don't even like the 200 diffuser, I believe 197 one looks bigger, hidden exhausts etc. But again, that's just me.

Let's don't forget that we modify our cars anyway. So what if the 200 cup chassis is revised, we all change the suspension anyway, and not only that...engine mods, remaps the lot. Gearbox? Well they all fail so at some point all mk3s will have a revised gearbox anyway lol!! All the bits that Renault left undone on the 197 can get sorted. You can't change the looks though, 200 is 200 and 197 is 197. My opinion.

This topic reminds me of Top Gear, when Clarkson spoke about Aston Martin DBS..
It is 2x more €, bit it is in every detail a bit better than DB9...which makes it desirable.
The same is for me. Can't say which is prettier, but knowing that 200 is in several details a bit better (sport wise) makes it must have for me.

I drove few 197s and owned 200..can't really find a noticeable difference (except for the fast my 200 is Cup and therefore much stuffer that 197 I've tried). I really like rpm dial on the 200's.

If that raider was a matte grey 197 it would have still won. It was a great photo.

Not necessarily - if it had been a 197 it might have cracked the lens during the shoot, or the owner might have not have got the car in shot with his eyes refusing to open once facing it head on. All manner of things could have gone wrong.

I've owned a 197 cup and I now own a FF 200 with the cup chassis. I've covered 9,000 miles in the 200 and about 24,000 in the 197.

I couldn't tell much of a difference on the test drive of the 200 and when I got back in my 197 I couldn't feel many differences bar the creature comforts.

However, now I've spent a long time in a 200 it really is a little bit better in so many areas. The engine feels stronger and more eager, definitely has more grunt lower down (not turbo like torque but still!) and the car generally feels more planted and stiffer sprung. It just feels more willing, more driveable in town and a bit more fun to drive everywhere else. I've also noticed the induction and exhaust noise is quite a bit louder in the 200. Overall it feels a lot more focussed on b roads and tracks.

The 197 is a great car, but there's nothing I really miss about the car that I would carry over to the 200.

The 200 new today (whats left of them) is around £18135.00 (glup)!!!! The average price for a good used 197 is £7500. Is the 200 that much better or different for you to sign the cheque for say 10 grand plus px in 197?

Its my opinion but at least you could see where your money went and the development from the 182 to the 197....

This debate will be never ending between 197 & 200 owners. Just like people's views on the cup spoiler.

Personally, I think the interior is better in a 200 but I'm not a fan of the 200 front end (unless in black) nor do I think the 197 is dated.

It's all opinion. I disagree that there is a Right answer on which is better.

I disagree that there is a Right answer on which is better.

this really, it's always going to come down to what people own at the time.

Early on the 197 bored me. Took me quite a while to like it but I think its ageing nicely and settling in rather than being an instant WOW and fading out again. I prefer cars to be like this.

First time I drove a 200 cup (around Bedford autodrome) it felt alive and so much more exciting. I think it sparked my interest in mk3s generally to be honest.

I personally think the front ends suit different colours in different ways. white 200 looks incredible, as does an Alien Green. Albi suits the 197 front best. Black I don't think looks that inspiring on either.....sorry

I don't think there is an answer either way to me it more comes down to the age at which you trust cars and how they feel in them. I like my main car to be less than 3 years old and still in warranty, if possible I like a new car every two years. When I bought the new house this wasn't case and I had a sub £1k megane, did the job and enjoyed it. I've had a BMW Cabriolet for 13 years now, its 23 year old and I took it to South of France and Spain last year, no problems and loved every minute. I love my 200, and would love to have a 197 for track use as they are now getting more affordable. When I see the money I've spent on buying the clio new and then look at the amazing 197's that some people have created I sometimes wish I had bought a 197 and then modded it to be half as good as some that others on here have. Maybe a 197 track car will arrive soon and then that can be modded :tongueout: unlucky thou santa didn't bring one this xmas so looks like am gonna have to work harder and spend less and see what happens in future.

In the meantime am gonna enjoy my 200 and hope that everyone enjoys their 200's and 197's. I've got friends who we call the "big house empty fridge group" I would rather have a Clio 200 and be able to enjoy life than something more luxury and more expensive and have that cloud of cost over my head. Having a car, house and job is a luxury in life and we should all be grateful for what we have and not looking at pointing out the negatives in other peoples possessions and life.

This debate will be never ending between 197 & 200 owners. Just like people's views on the cup spoiler.

Personally, I think the interior is better in a 200 but I'm not a fan of the 200 front end (unless in black) nor do I think the 197 is dated.

It's all opinion. I disagree that there is a Right answer on which is better.

I don't think there is an answer either way to me it more comes down to the age at which you trust cars and how they feel in them. I like my main car to be less than 3 years old and still in warranty, if possible I like a new car every two years. When I bought the new house this wasn't case and I had a sub £1k megane, did the job and enjoyed it. I've had a BMW Cabriolet for 13 years now, its 23 year old and I took it to South of France and Spain last year, no problems and loved every minute. I love my 200, and would love to have a 197 for track use as they are now getting more affordable. When I see the money I've spent on buying the clio new and then look at the amazing 197's that some people have created I sometimes wish I had bought a 197 and then modded it to be half as good as some that others on here have. Maybe a 197 track car will arrive soon and then that can be modded :tongueout: unlucky thou santa didn't bring one this xmas so looks like am gonna have to work harder and spend less and see what happens in future.

In the meantime am gonna enjoy my 200 and hope that everyone enjoys their 200's and 197's. I've got friends who we call the "big house empty fridge group" I would rather have a Clio 200 and be able to enjoy life than something more luxury and more expensive and have that cloud of cost over my head. Having a car, house and job is a luxury in life and we should all be grateful for what we have and not looking at pointing out the negatives in other peoples possessions and life.

I think your right but equally for me its just forum banter and nothing personal. Its peoples hard earn to spend how they wish. Hard to deny though, the 200 is a better car cause Renault resolved most of the problems found in the 197. Its also hard to deny that the 200 will always divide opinions on its looks. All of these debates will become less relevant and a distant memory when the 200T owners start filtering on the site!!!!

4 door over 2 door, no brembo's, flappy paddle or not a proper RS debate anyone?

Last edited:
All of these debates will become less relevant and a distant memory when the 200T owners start filtering on the site!!!!

4 door over 2 door, no brembo's, flappy paddle or not a proper RS debate anyone?

Not sure they should be allowed onto forum :smiley: it'll be a blood bath! And i hope they dont search for threads of we think of the new 200T lol