Do you think twice about where you park your car (Digbeth, Birmingham)?

2010 RS Clio 200 Cup

I'll be going to a gig at Birmingham's O2 Institute in Digbeth on a Friday evening in a couple of weeks. Never been before. Speaking to others who have been, they park on the nearby streets rather than walking half a mile to a multi-storey and paying at least £10.

For want of a better term, the area is slightly 'rough'. I walk through it regularly from the Bull Ring shopping centre to the mighty Birmingham City's ground on a Saturday. Friends who do park on the street have what I would call 'normal' cars: Focus, Astra, Kia/Hyundai etc. The most 'premium' would be a Golf and a 5 year old 3 series.

So, is there anyone who knows the area who has some advice: is parking on the street fine or should I go for the secure multi-storey?
Generally, do you avoid parking on streets/car parks in 'certain' areas? Do you always go for 'safer' well-lit locations?
Are RS Clios significantly more at risk than other normal cars?

I live in Solihull and regularly taxi into Digbeth for nights out (O2 Institute + Rainbow Warehouse/venues)

Although I've never seen cars being vandalized, personally I'd never risk parking my car around that area. Late at night, especially Friday/weekends, there's LOTS of drunk people wondering about and it's all too easy to have some drunk idiot either fall into your car, scratch it while walking past, knock a mirror off, piss on it etc. not to mention the on street parking is ridiculously tight anyway.

I'd say its safe in terms of no one is going to put your window through with a brick etc, just because it's a nice car, but still for me it would be a big no-no, especially in the Clio.

Worth finding a secure car park for peace of mind IMO.

Last edited:
Always use well lit car parks with CCTV. In Bristol, use Cabot Circus multi-storey, even if I am the other side of town. What's a 10-20 min walk? Not saying nothing untoward goes on in these types of car parks, but the chances are reduced I feel.

I don't know the area personally, however there are similar areas in Leeds and I'd always try and park the Clio somewhere a bit further away or more expensive (but safer), than leaving it somewhere there's the chance of it getting damaged.

I stayed in a hotel in Birmingham a while back just around the corner from Aston and they had a 'secure' locked car park with roller shutter doors, the next day we went to the car park and 4 vans and 2 cars had been done over!! So be Careful where you park :smile:

Thanks to everyone for chipping in. It's useful advice for a country bumpkin like me! Multi-storey it is then.

I live in Solihull and regularly go into Birmingham. You can park in one of the bullring car parks and walk into digbeth. Only a 5 min walk. May cost a few more pounds but theyre generally ok.

I left my car on a street in bham when I went on a night out with mates. Spent all night worrying about it! Worth parking in a secure place and playing a bit extra.

A country bumpkin also myself! As Matt said earlier I've parked it on the streets in Bham before and spent the next morning praying it hadn't been tampered with! I always pay for secure parking now, gives you peace of mind albeit having to pay that bit extra!

Depends how much you care for your car, even making a topic like this suggests you do, so fork out and have some peace of mind and a decent night out.

I'd rather leave mine in a tesco car park for example a long distance away if it means there's less chance of it getting damaged. Particularly with LY being such a bitch to repair...

It can almost happen anywhere though! My mate parks his car in the road outside in Bury, and some yobs did this to the roof of his Fiesta Zetec S

44c8409a3bcdd9793286dcc71583c18d.jpg

Swings and roudabouts i suppose, you can hide it away in a car park with the benefit of cctv etc but that's not to say someone won't swing their door into yours or scuff your bumper on a parking manouver.plus you will pay a premium for a ?overnight stay. Versus parking on a well lit street , which on the face of it will have passers by but less likely to get someone interfering (remember well lit) , providing you choose your place wisely. However I had no knowledge of the area your mentioning.